Gerard Weatherby

Default Short trip report

After too many f--ing hours on the A4 -- long story, ended up replacing the
intake/exhaust manifold -- we (wife and I) finally had a short sail in Fischer's
Island Sound Monday. Moved to a mooring this year instead of a slip, and moved
to a Marina at the mouth a different river. (Mystic) Much nicer -- just drop
the mooring line and we're underway and no dock lines and fenders to mess with.
Sailed west against wind and current for a couple hours and probably made less
than a mile headway!

Need to work on our communication skills a bit. While the engine running much
cooler due to vastly improved water flow, the Admiral had trouble getting the
choke and throttle setting right. She wasn't able to get it above idle without
it starting to stall. I ran back to cockpit, set throttle and gas it up to
crusing RPM, look up and find that she's let go of the tiller to grab boat hook
to fend hitting another boat!

There was also the time when I asked her to head up so I could (try to) tighten
the outhaul. We inadvertently went into a tack, and she moved as she normally
does to cross over but I couldn't because the outhaul was uncleated...

S/V Cat's Meow
http://www.catsmeow.org
Pony Express

Gerard! Glad to hear you're still around. It's even better to hear you've
been out sailing. There's no better way to work on the communication that
by being out there doing it.
--
----
Steve

"Gerard Weatherby" wrote in message
[...]

Gerard Weatherby

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 06:45:43 -0400, "Pony Express"
wrote:

Gerard! Glad to hear you're still around. It's even better to hear you've
been out sailing. There's no better way to work on the communication that
by being out there doing it.

Still here. I had just gotten to the point where I had to choose between
keeping up with the group or getting the boat ready to sail (well, float,
first)

This spring included:
Replacing a couple of the thru-hulls (which were just pipes with valves on them)
with decent seacocks,
installing a new hull-mount knotmeter/speed log
touching up the bottom paint in a few places
new anchor and constructing a bow platform with anchor roller
new mainsail
Replacing the horn (on the mast spreader)
Fixing a short in the deck light (on the other mast spreader)
Putting the main halyard on the CORRECT side this year (they were switched all
last year)
Usual spring launch odds and ends

Our first trip was the transit down the Connecticut river -- which due lots of
spring rain when fairly quickly -- and then east to Mystic.

Hopefully we can get out today or tomorrow.

S/V Cat's Meow
http://www.catsmeow.org
Donal

"Gerard Weatherby" wrote in message

Need to work on our communication skills a bit. While the engine running

much
cooler due to vastly improved water flow, the Admiral had trouble getting

the
choke and throttle setting right. She wasn't able to get it above idle

without
it starting to stall. I ran back to cockpit, set throttle and gas it up

crusing RPM, look up and find that she's let go of the tiller to grab boat

hook
to fend hitting another boat!

Heh last year I had some communication problems with the first mate.

Before going forward, I gave her the tiller and said "Hold it there". A
few seconds later the boat veered off course. I calmly asked her to get
back on course. Over the next couple of days the same thing happend again
twice.

The fourth time that it happened, my patience gave out. I exploded with
"CAN YOU NOT hold the F*&^&*g thing where I ask you to?". My wife replied
that she had held it exactly where I had left it. She was looking at the
tiller as she said this.... and indeed she had not let the tiller move at
all.

The lesson is that instructions have to be unambiguous. To me "hold it
there" means "keep the boat on this heading". To an inexperienced crew
"hold it there" means "hold it there".

I apologised for shouting, and considered my good luck in having a wife who
will come sailing with me.

Regards

Donal

katysails

I apologised for shouting, and considered my good luck in having a wife
who
will come sailing with me.

You are a wise man...no wonder your tea is served in bed each morning...

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Pony Express

I guess if I ever did something wrong, I might apologize.
--
----
Steve

"katysails" wrote in message
He's wise because he apologized. Yelling doesn't bother me...I just yell

back.

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Bobsprit

I guess if I ever did something wrong, I might apologize.

Steve, shouldn't you apologize to Scotty? Did you not aid and support his
purchase of a boat, believed my many, to be poorly built and hard to sell?

RB

Donal

"Pony Express" wrote in message
So, Katy, you think yelling at his spouse is a wise thing? I'm surprised
that he didn't have his tea *poured* on him in bed the next morning.
--

Real sailors yell on the boat - occasionally.

I bet that you are man enough to admit that you have yelled once or twice.
Don't worry about making a frank admission. Bobsprit won't even read it,
and a real man wouldn't worry about a NY'ers opinion anyway!

Real men are not afraid to admit their mistakes. Once people realise that
you *do* admit your mistakes, then you only have to admit about 10% of them.

Regards

Donal