BoatBanter.com

-   -   Best Deck Gun? (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/16124-best-deck-gun.html)

Jeff Morris June 25th 03 06:29 PM

Best Deck Gun?

You need a permit to shoot PWD'ers, and the season for water skiers is very short.

"Vito" wrote in message ...
Do y'all mount those new 25mm rapid fire guns or will a "Ma Duece" or
simply a .30 cal do?

Seriously, what are the legal and technical ramifications of firearms on
yachts?

TIA
Vito

XR750 June 25th 03 07:52 PM

Best Deck Gun?

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message

You need a permit to shoot PWD'ers, and the season for water skiers is

very short.

PWCs are like deer here--you can only take one or two each season, depending
upon your license. But there's no bag limit on those taken with your
vehicle, er boat.

XR

Capt. Mooron June 25th 03 09:13 PM

Best Deck Gun?

Small, Round, available...... dense. uniform, equal weight.

CM

Vito June 26th 03 12:00 AM

Best Deck Gun?

Scott Vernon June 26th 03 12:06 AM

Best Deck Gun?

Use American balls, they're much, much bigger than those in Canaduh.

Scotty

Jeff Morris June 26th 03 12:06 AM

Best Deck Gun?

Many years ago my brother had a model of an 1812 long gun (perhaps a chaser from the
Constitution?) milled out of carbon steel. IIRC, it had a bore of 3/4 inch which is the
same as the old Brown Bess musket. I assume he got the shot from the black powder folks -
he had a black powder license from the local police. I think the shot was 4 ozs. The
cannon maker claimed that with a full load it could shoot several miles, but the most I
ever saw it go was about 600 yards.

My brother always wanted to mount the cannon on my boat so we could "salute" the
Constitution when she goes out. I always declined, and nowadays it would be a serious
faux pas.

--
-jeff www.sv-loki.com
If you can't say something nice, say something surrealistic. -Zippy

Scott Vernon June 26th 03 12:32 AM

Best Deck Gun?

Is .44 caliber too small?

Scott Vernon June 26th 03 12:42 AM

Best Deck Gun?

The ones I know lied?

"DS King" wrote in message
Scott Vernon wrote:

Is .44 caliber too small?

Most women would probably say yes.

DSK

DS King June 26th 03 12:43 AM

Best Deck Gun?

Scott Vernon June 26th 03 12:59 AM

Best Deck Gun?

not sure, perhaps you could go on a fact finding trip.

;)

"katysails" wrote in message
Use American balls, they're much, much bigger than those in Canaduh.

I hadn't heard about an International Measuring Contest. Where do the

Ozzies stand in the rankings? And the Brits?

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Capt. Mooron June 26th 03 01:29 AM

Best Deck Gun?

Yeah.... but they only hit Allies or your own personel....

CM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
| Use American balls, they're much, much bigger than those in Canaduh.
|
| Scotty
|
| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
| I'm planning a deck cannon but I have to see what the most common size
of
| ball bearings are available.
|
| CM
|
| "Vito" wrote in message
| | Do y'all mount those new 25mm rapid fire guns or will a "Ma Duece" or
| | simply a .30 cal do?
| |
| | Seriously, what are the legal and technical ramifications of firearms
on
| | yachts?
| |

Capt. Mooron June 26th 03 01:30 AM

Best Deck Gun?

.....and WHAT.... may I ask is wrong with that!!!???????

CM

Peter Wiley June 26th 03 02:11 AM

Best Deck Gun?

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message ...
I'm planning a deck cannon but I have to see what the most common size of
ball bearings are available.

Nah, golf balls. Cheap, reasonably dense, good range and the ammo
looks innocent. Been there, done that. I have 3 1806 Naval 6 pounder
cannon and 3 1812 Napoleon field cannon scaled down for this. Friend
of mine did the castings before he swapped over to importing castings
from India. Built one up to play with, the others are garden ornaments
at the moment.

Ball bearings are OK for grape shot, but 45 cal lead balls for
muzzle-loading pistols are better. Depends on whether you're trying
for a hull shot or an antipersonnel shot, between solid shot and
grape.

I'll send you a jpeg of the castings next time I'm up the farm, where
the ordnance is stored.

Peter Wiley

katysails June 26th 03 02:47 AM

Best Deck Gun?

.....and WHAT.... may I ask is wrong with that!!!???????

It's just so...predictable....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Capt. Mooron June 26th 03 02:56 AM

Best Deck Gun?

Sounds Good.... I was looking at Bronze stock to mill on the lathe .... and
the ole' Man said he would show me how to do the rifling. That's why I want
even shot loads. I'm researching to locate 1" ball bearings.

Grape shot loads could be placed with wadding and lead weights. I'm looking
at a 24" long cannon mounted on a wheeled cart and bungeed to the bowsprit
like we did with my friend's cannon which had a 3/4" barrel.

I launched the rubber stopper from this cannon once.... which I forgot to
remove during the excitement.... it launched visibly and we tracked it to
about 3" from a friend's head on a salute shot once. It wouldn't have killed
him since we loaded very light but man was he nervous around me after that
round! Ha ha ha

CM

om...

Capt. Mooron June 26th 03 02:59 AM

Best Deck Gun?

You're just mad cause the boys won't let you play guns again!

CM

Peter Wiley June 26th 03 06:33 AM

Best Deck Gun?

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message ...
Sounds Good.... I was looking at Bronze stock to mill on the lathe .... and
the ole' Man said he would show me how to do the rifling. That's why I want
even shot loads. I'm researching to locate 1" ball bearings.

Mooron, trust me - if you try to fire hardened steel ball bearings in
a rifled *bronze* cannon, you're looking at a world of hurt.

Actually, if it's a muzzle loader, you won't get them to go down the
bore, cos there's no way in hell you'll get the rifling to engrave on
the balls, so you'll be safe. But it won't fire anything. If you do
this with a breechloader, it'll most likely rupture. It's not a good
idea.

The bronze guns were smoothbores, and the shot were 'rattle fit' with
wadding over the powder charge, and more wadding around or in front of
the projectile to keep it in place. Using steel ball bearings in a
smoothbore is simple, practical and fun. That's how I built my first
pistol when I was 12. My father was a fitter/welder who ran his own
auto repair business - plenty ball bearings.

If you really want a rifled bronze cannon firing ball bearings, patch
each one so the patch takes the rifling, not the ball. I still think
it's not a good idea, tho. Pressures go up and bronze is soft. I
sleeved my cast iron cannon with Sched 80 s/steel pressure tube and
it's a smoothbore.

My advice, FWIW, is to load 12 gauge solid shotgun slugs, about .75",
or look for 10G solid slugs if you want a bigger bore. Saves a lotta
hassle and the density of lead will give you better range.
Alternatively, make a mould and cast slugs to suit.

I've got 30 years of experience in this stuff, both building &
shooting, and still have all my fingers, plus eyesight. Apologies if
I'm telling you what you already know, but on this subject there are
few second chances.

PDW

Peter Wiley June 26th 03 06:35 AM

Best Deck Gun?

"katysails" wrote in message ...
....and WHAT.... may I ask is wrong with that!!!???????

It's just so...predictable....

Boy toys. Lotta fun can be had with a black powder cannon. Especially
when you have importunate racing types who want to overtake and expect
*you* to change course. Stern chaser acts as a wonderful motivator.

Peter Wiley

thunder June 26th 03 11:15 AM

Best Deck Gun?

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:06:40 +0000, Jeff Morris wrote:

My brother always wanted to mount the cannon on my boat so we could
"salute" the Constitution when she goes out. I always declined, and
nowadays it would be a serious faux pas.

Faux pas? Nowadays you could expect return fire.

katysails June 26th 03 12:05 PM

Best Deck Gun?

Lotta fun can be had with a black powder cannon.

Cheaper: PVC pipe, taters, hairspray, cigarette lighter.....and the ammo is environmental...
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

jlrogers June 26th 03 05:28 PM

Best Deck Gun?

Gads, not you again.

"Babs Johnson" wrote in message rthlink.net...
Katy,

Rest assured, the best guns are mine! 38DDD and ready for action. So tell me
sister bombshell, how have you gone about measuring the various sizes of
international balls? You do realize it's not the length that matters much,
but rather the bore.
I'm just dropping in, I'm so busy in my latest career, modelling rubber
clothing. Would you be interested in a rubber teddy I could sent you gratis?
Would you prefer talcum powder or petroleum jelly to help you to slip into
it?
Ever since the parking brake failed on that BMW and it rolled over me things
haven't been quite the same. I've had numerous software updates (just see
what happens when you hit ctrl-alt-del) and had to relearn how to walk in 8
inch stilleto heels with my repacked guns. Still, I have the best tips for
everyone so stay tuned!
The world's most famous bombshell and sailorette, and sister hot piece.

Babs Johnson

katysails June 27th 03 12:04 AM

Best Deck Gun?

Would you prefer talcum powder or petroleum jelly to help you to slip into
it?

Babsy-baby...so nice to hear from you. Thanks, but no thanks on the rubber teddies. Latex allergies and all, you know. And
petroleum...honey...that's absolutely unenvironmental. And talc causes cervical cancer they say. You have to be more careful
there, girl.
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

katysails June 27th 03 12:05 AM

Best Deck Gun?

Gads, not you again.

Hey...Babs is my buddy...it can visit whenever it wants.....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Horvath June 27th 03 12:34 AM

Best Deck Gun?

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:17:12 -0700, Vito wrote
this crap:

Do y'all mount those new 25mm rapid fire guns or will a "Ma Duece" or
simply a .30 cal do?

A 30 cal just doesn't have the firepower. The 25mm ammo is expensive,
so you don't want to burn up too much. Ma Duece is still da king.
With incendiary tracers, you can even take on the coasties.

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Years!

Horvath June 27th 03 12:38 AM

Best Deck Gun?

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:06:40 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote this crap:

Many years ago my brother had a model of an 1812 long gun (perhaps a chaser from the
Constitution?) milled out of carbon steel. IIRC, it had a bore of 3/4 inch which is the
same as the old Brown Bess musket. I assume he got the shot from the black powder folks -
he had a black powder license from the local police.

You need a black powder license?

Peter Wiley June 27th 03 02:06 AM

Best Deck Gun?

"katysails" wrote in message ...
Lotta fun can be had with a black powder cannon.

Cheaper: PVC pipe, taters, hairspray, cigarette lighter.....and the ammo is environmental...

PVC fractures when you overload it, and black powder is just sulphur,
charcoal and potassium nitrate, which can be extracted from ****. Very
environmental propellant.

As for the ammo, IMO it's a better use for golf balls than the
original one. Never saw the point of walking round whacking balls.

PDW

Capt. Mooron June 27th 03 02:20 AM

Best Deck Gun?

Does the idea of a cannon that fires a round projectile propelled by an
explosion of black powder completely evade your reasoning??

In regards to a semi-auto .50 cal...... Friggin' amateur... you'd alter
the ejection port and mount it to the best location/elevation.

You're a dipstick Horvath!

CM

Capt. Mooron June 27th 03 03:04 AM

Best Deck Gun?

I hear that!!!!

What caliber would you need for golf balls..... with the dimpled surface a
rifling would really make for accurate placement.
FOUR!!.... I mean FIRE!!!!

Wally June 27th 03 02:05 PM

Best Deck Gun?

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message news:ICNKa.24434

What caliber would you need for golf balls.....

According to my vernier caliper, a randomly-selected golf ball is 41.6mm, or
about 1.635" in old money. That's after wiggling it about to measure across
the high points rather than the dimples. Dunno how that translates to
calibre...

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!

DS King June 27th 03 02:08 PM

Best Deck Gun?

"Capt. Mooron" wrote:

Does the idea of a cannon that fires a round projectile propelled by an
explosion of black powder completely evade your reasoning??

It's a little counter intuitive for most people.... actually the powder doesn't
explode inside the gun barrel, it burns.

In regards to a semi-auto .50 cal......

What? A semi-auto .50 cal? What would be the point? I have fired a single shot
(bolt action) .50 rifle, that was a beast for a shoulder arm. Intended to be
fired from a rest or a bipod at least, it was a custom "sniper" rifle and was a
double MOA gun. I could hit a Coke can at about 900 yards, the trajectory was
really flat. The man who commissioned it was a match champ, he could hit a
bowling pin at 1500 yards every time. In theory the gun was capable of accurate
fire at 2200 yards but he had not worked up the loads for max range.

I've seen ads for semiauto .50 cal assault style rifles, they seemed to be for
Rambo wanna bees.

An M2 is a fully automatic weapon.

Friggin' amateur... you'd alter
the ejection port and mount it to the best location/elevation.

Alter the ejection port? IIRC you can set the feed tray on the M2 on either
side, but I'd be very very dubious about 'altering' anything about a piece of
machinery that releases that much horsepower that fast.

You're a dipstick Horvath!

Why state the obvious?

DSK

Gerard Weatherby June 27th 03 03:21 PM

Best Deck Gun?

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:08:02 -0400, DS King wrote:

It's a little counter intuitive for most people.... actually the powder doesn't
explode inside the gun barrel, it burns.

Oxidation by any other name would smell as acrid.

What's the dividing line between burning and exploding?

S/V Cat's Meow
http://www.catsmeow.org

Vito June 27th 03 04:53 PM

Best Deck Gun?

katysails wrote:

I don't play with guns...I shoot em...have a whole bunch of me....just don't know why they need to be discussed all the time....

Well then (grin) quit jackin yer jaws and answer this poor newbie's (me)
question.

jlrogers June 27th 03 05:43 PM

Best Deck Gun?

"Gerard Weatherby" wrote in message ...
Oxidation by any other name would smell as acrid.

Yeah, the proof is in the gas.

katysails June 27th 03 09:11 PM

Best Deck Gun?

Well then (grin) quit jackin yer jaws and answer this poor newbie's (me)
question.
Your question was long ago and far away.....The answer is ....maybe?

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Danny Taddei June 29th 03 08:46 AM

Best Deck Gun?

this has been a truly fun thread to read but if you want a practical
answer to your question you will likely have to detail the question to a
specific area.

Im the bahamas and miami you won't have an eye batted at you for
carrying guns of just about any kind. People there know that if you are
out and something happens you need to be able to take care of yourself.
I was stopped mid gulf stream but the uscg. they asked why I had a 357
and I said to shot anyone that got on board. They asked why I had a
shotgun and I said to stop anyone trying to get on board. they asked why
I was carrying a SKS10 assault rifle and I said to shot anyone I
needed to hit that was out of range of my shotgun and they said - OK.

In Golfito Costa Rica the port captain asked if I had any guns. I told
him no and then he gave me a lecture about why I should and trying to
make me go out and by one with his help.

In California I had a gun on board and someone saw it. Within 20 minutes
I had local police and the harbour patrol on my boat illegally to search
it. I had to radio the uscg to have them intervene.

it just depends on the area you are in to know how people will react to
you having guns on board. Just remember that it is a lot easier to be
judged by 12 then it is to get carried by 6.

Vito wrote:
Do y'all mount those new 25mm rapid fire guns or will a "Ma Duece" or
simply a .30 cal do?

Seriously, what are the legal and technical ramifications of firearms on
yachts?

TIA
Vito

--
Danny Taddei
e-mail me at (remove no-worms-in-a-)

Jonathan Ganz June 29th 03 02:46 PM

Best Deck Gun?

Carrying guns on a boat is a foolish and dangerous thing to
do. You're not going to be able to stop the really bad guys
with your puny little weapons. You're just inviting people to
shoot back. Let them take your crap and then get some more.

Danny Taddei June 29th 03 06:40 PM

Best Deck Gun?

Spoken like a true liberal! Just what do you think a bad guy is going to
do after he takes your stuff? Is he going to say thanks and tell you
that is has been nice meeting you and ask you to please don't tell
anyone? In fact, guns have stopped the bad guys. I have stopped the bad
guys on more occasions then one. I have absolutely no problem with that
and actually feel really good about helping to rid the world of slime
that would have only hurt another person next. the constables were very
happy too. You can take your bend over and take it in the butt attitude
and go back to your fearful cave. I prefer to take care of myself and
family before worrying about offending the weak cry babies of the world.
The only thing foolish about having a gun on board is if you decided not
to use it should the need rise!