Bobsprit

Default Spinnaker...sort of

The flags at the dock never moved for the hour that we washed Alien down, but
we had some friends stop by....set out anyway.
We caught a tiny thermal as the sun went down, and brought out the spinnaker.
The wind slacked off in the few minutes we ran the sheets. I figured we'd do
better going without the pole and clipped on the Tacker for a broad reach.
Nothing we did filled the poor thing for more than a moment. The windex spun
and windspeed showed 0 knots. In the pic below we're about to try a gybe.....oh
well. It's going to be 100 degrees today and we're fishing.
Friday we may get some T-storms and wind....let's hope.

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/aspin.jpg

RB
Capt. Mooron

Regarding the spinnaker in light air...... Try STARCH!

Fishing??? In the LIS????..... man you are one brave soul! The Simpson's 3
eyed fish comes to mind immediately.

CM

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

| The flags at the dock never moved for the hour that we washed Alien down,
but
| we had some friends stop by....set out anyway.
| We caught a tiny thermal as the sun went down, and brought out the
spinnaker.
| The wind slacked off in the few minutes we ran the sheets. I figured we'd
do
| better going without the pole and clipped on the Tacker for a broad reach.
| Nothing we did filled the poor thing for more than a moment. The windex
spun
| and windspeed showed 0 knots. In the pic below we're about to try a
gybe.....oh
| well. It's going to be 100 degrees today and we're fishing.
| Friday we may get some T-storms and wind....let's hope.
|
| http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/aspin.jpg
|
| RB

Scott Vernon

it used to be a candian flag.

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
Ugly chute.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Capt. Mooron

Get used to it Scotty...... you'll be saluting it when we take over!

CM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
| it used to be a candian flag.
|

| "SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
| Ugly chute.
|

| S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
| Trains are a winter sport

SkitchNYC

Get used to it Scotty...... you'll be saluting it when we take over the local
bowling hall!

CM

Jonathan Ganz

Can't be worse than it is now....

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
Get used to it Scotty...... you'll be saluting it when we take over!

CM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
| it used to be a candian flag.
|

| "SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
| Ugly chute.
|

| S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
| Trains are a winter sport

DS King

Marty Browne wrote:

Hi All,
I thought the original question pertained to mainsail trim.
Well, Here I go---jumping into the shark tank....
try putting telltales on the mailsail leech. Position one at each batten
pocket.

Not the best place for them IMHO. The battens will maximize turbulence coming
off the leach.

As a general rule of thumb, if you have the all telltales
streaming, your mainsail is probably OK for the conditions.

Nope. If your telltales are streaming, you could be OK or your sail could be
flapping uselessly. Think about it. If you are on a beat, then you definitely
want to see the leach telltales get pulled in behind the sail
occasionally.... how often and for how long is different for different boats.

Perhaps
better than OK. keeping the top batten telltale streaming is often
difficult. Keeping that one streaming, off the wind, often requires lots
of backstay and boomvang tweaking in order to find the "just right shape.

Tweaking the backstay off the wind doesn't sound good IMHO. Boom vang yes.
And remember that you want the leach ribbons working together; not absolutely
streaming at the top or whatever. That is the best way to judge the twist of
the sail, getting the leach ribbons working together. Sometimes you want the
upper one pulling back just a little more than the lower one.

If the leach ribbons don't pull back once in a while, then it's entirely
possible that the sail is not generating any differential flow between the
windward & leeward sides, and thus producing no power. Max differential
pressure across the sail will pull the leach telltale back behind the sail,
this is max power but it may not be working to propel the boat.

Fresh Breezes
Doug King

Scott Vernon

My son brought home a van load of free flags on his last trip up there. The
Canuks said they were getting ready for the 'big change over'. (?) . Not
sure what to do with them, I tried using some for bedding but the pigs
dragged them out to their pen and stomped them under the mud. Any
suggestions?
--
Scott Vernon
Plowville PA __/)__/)__

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
Get used to it Scotty...... you'll be saluting it when we take over!

CM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
| it used to be a candian flag.
|

| "SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
| Ugly chute.
|

| S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
| Trains are a winter sport

Horvath

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:44:10 -0400, "Scott Vernon"
wrote this crap:

My son brought home a van load of free flags on his last trip up there. The
Canuks said they were getting ready for the 'big change over'. (?) . Not
sure what to do with them, I tried using some for bedding but the pigs
dragged them out to their pen and stomped them under the mud. Any
suggestions?

Are they flammable? You can use them at your next cookout.

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Years!
Capt. Mooron

Send your pigs to Canada and we'll make Back Bacon out of them... That would
be justice!!

"Change Over"????.... is your boy applying for Canadian Citizenship? Right
On!

Hang those flags everywhere... that way you'll be safe when we invade. We'll
hit ya with the 101st Beer Truck Battalion to soften you up before we back
that up with Rock Bands, Wet T-Shirt Contests and the Week Long Drunken
Party..... by the time you sober up, you'll all be talking with a Canadian
accent, saying "Eh", calling people "hosers" and thinking you were born in
Canada.

CM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
| My son brought home a van load of free flags on his last trip up there.
The
| Canuks said they were getting ready for the 'big change over'. (?) . Not
| sure what to do with them, I tried using some for bedding but the pigs
| dragged them out to their pen and stomped them under the mud. Any
| suggestions?
| --
| Scott Vernon
| Plowville PA __/)__/)__
|

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
| Get used to it Scotty...... you'll be saluting it when we take over!
|
| CM
|
| "Scott Vernon" wrote in message
| | it used to be a candian flag.
| |