Thomas Stewart

Default for those 95+ deg days

Scout,

You leave a lot of questions. You start off saying you got rid of the
condenser & fan and then never explain how you circulate the air? You
say you have a tube in tube unit and a sealed loop but only have one
circulating pump?

I think you better take another Nap. Your dream still needs work :^) or
at least a more logical explanation

Ole Thom

Scout

Nap sounds good. But first I'll explain more Ole Thom. A tube in tube heat
exchanger replaced the air cooled condenser. In this device, hot refrigerant
vapor passes through a 5/16" O.D. tube, which has been sealed inside a 7/8"
O.D. tube. At both ends of the 7/8" tubing, access fittings were installed
to allow fresh water to flow through the 7/8" and outside the 5/16" tubing.
In doing so, picks up the heat for removal from the cabin. The refrigerant
compressor is the 2nd pump you seek. It moves the refrigerant through the
5/16". It leaves the compressor as a hot vapor and arrives at the expansion
device (capillary tube) as a sub-cooled, high pressure liquid.
A water pump moves the cool fresh water from the tube-in-tube condenser,
through hoses, to the 2nd heat exchanger, which is just a roll of 5/8" O.D.
copper tubing, which is dropped into the bay when the AC is used.
Otherwise, this 2nd heat exchanger is stored neatly away in a locker (the
22' of 5/8" tubing was shaped to fit in the locker). There is no condenser
fan needed, nor is there a need for the old air cooled condensing coil, so I
removed them. The indoor fan continues to work in the usual way, drawing
warm air through the evaporator where it is cooled and discharged through
the louvers.
Scout

"Thomas Stewart" wrote:
You leave a lot of questions.

Thomas Stewart

Scout,

The mist is slowly rising, maybe? Are you still using the Freon system
with the Evap. and expansion valve? If so, Why the conversion?

A Confused,
Ole Thom

Scout

Thom,
I'm using a basic window air conditioning unit, freon-22, capillary tube
instead of expansion valve.
The conversion to water cooled allowed me to use a cheap window unit without
hacking a hole in my cabin. I got the idea after getting a good look at
ground source heat pumps, which essentially get heat in the winter and dump
heat in the summer to ground water. I thought, I got plenty of water to do
that, and I don't even have to drill a well! If I get ambitious, I might
even add a reversing valve and extract heat from the bay to heat my cabin in
the Fall. But that's for another day.
Scout

"Thomas Stewart" wrote
The mist is slowly rising, maybe? Are you still using the Freon system
with the Evap. and expansion valve? If so, Why the conversion?
A Confused,
Ole Thom

Thomas Stewart

Scout,

Slow but finally!! (Comprehension!)

"I'LL DRINK TO THAT!"

Ole Thom

Scout

3 Long Islands for me, right in a row please! : )

"Thomas Stewart" wrote
Scout,
Slow but finally!! (Comprehension!)
"I'LL DRINK TO THAT!"
Ole Thom

Capt. Mooron

Great post on the Reefer.... but real Sailors Drink Rum!

CM