Simple Simon

Default Bad Seamanship & Neal

Lock stitching is "A" correct method. Correct but not necessary and
ever so slow by hand. I used a linear stitch and the only "lock" there is
to it is when I went back over it the reverse direction which seems to
be enough as the hand stitching has held up at least as well as the factory
stitching. I used UV protected Dacron thread, btw. It comes on a giant
spool about six inches tall and three inches in diameter. It must have
fifty miles of thread on it.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message ...
Thats a double stitch... or you can use two threads and needles... the
correct method though remains a lock stitch.

CM

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
news | Right, you've got to go over it twice to get it threaded where
| thread was originally. That's what I did. I went one direction and
| then turned around and went back filling in the unthreaded areas.
| Tensioning each stitch is important. You don't want it too tight so
| it draws up the material but you don't want it so loose that it stands
| proud. You'll get the hang of it in short order.
|

| "Wally" wrote in message
| "Simple Simon" wrote in message
|
| Zig-zag on both sides in the original holes. Wear your glasses.
|
| The original stitching is zig-zag. Would I be right in thinking that I
| should zig-zag in one direction first, and then turn and do the
| complementary zig-zag? (The original is machine-stitched, so has two
courses
| of thread.)
|

| --
| Wally
| I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!
| www.art-gallery.myby.co.uk

Peter Wiley

"katysails" wrote in message ...
In actuality, old sewing machines can handle that type of cloth (by old I mean before WW2). My mother did heavy upholstery work
and canvas work on my Gramma's old Singer for years and I repaired sails with for a time. The new machines are lighter weight
and unless they're a heavy duty surge type then they're not going to be able to feed the material through the dogs.

Yeah - I scored my mother's 2 old treadle Singer machines, one a heavy
duty industrial model. My sisters didn't want them. When I get my new
place finished I'll set one of them up. Probably manage to sew my
thumb just like I did when I was a little kid & playing with the
machine. One childhood memory that's never faded...

PDW
katysails

Probably manage to sew my
thumb just like I did when I was a little kid

Ouch...I remember vividly when my little sister did that same thing at Gramma's house....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Scott Vernon

I've got their chromed model.

Scotty

"Wally" wrote in message

| I didn't think he'd mentioned use of a sewing awl.

Yes he did ....

For the outhaul reinforcement I used heavy, waxed thread (twine)

and the fine Automatic Awl that comes from C.S. Osborne and
Company, Harrison, N.J.

It's an excellent product.. I use one myself.

http://www.csosborne.com/no413.htm

CM

Capt. Mooron

Amateur.... I was awarded the Platinum Edition by Martha Steward!

CM
"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
| I've got their chromed model.
|
| Scotty
|
| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
|
| "Wally" wrote in message
|
| | I didn't think he'd mentioned use of a sewing awl.
|
| Yes he did ....
|
| For the outhaul reinforcement I used heavy, waxed thread (twine)
| and the fine Automatic Awl that comes from C.S. Osborne and
| Company, Harrison, N.J.
|
| It's an excellent product.. I use one myself.
|
| http://www.csosborne.com/no413.htm
|
| CM

Scott Vernon

That would be impressive if Martha StewarT gave it to you.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
Amateur.... I was awarded the Platinum Edition by Martha Steward!

CM
"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
| I've got their chromed model.
|
| Scotty
|
| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
|
| "Wally" wrote in message
|
| | I didn't think he'd mentioned use of a sewing awl.
|
| Yes he did ....
|
| For the outhaul reinforcement I used heavy, waxed thread (twine)
| and the fine Automatic Awl that comes from C.S. Osborne and
| Company, Harrison, N.J.
|
| It's an excellent product.. I use one myself.
|
| http://www.csosborne.com/no413.htm
|
| CM

katysails

That would be impressive if Martha StewarT gave it to you.

You think Martha StewarT is impressive? I think she's rathuh a bowah....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse