posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default 7.4 Trillion! 7.4!!!!

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"Keith nuttle" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
"Keith nuttle" wrote in message
troll sh*t removed

We have already lost many times that in 401k, saving accounts, and
company and public pension funds. So while large in itself, it is a
drop in the bucket relative to the problem.

You'll only lose in a 401K if you sell or reallocate. If you can wait,
the market will come back eventually.

At the average rate of return of market growth for the last 40 years it
will take 10 to 15 years for a 401k to regain the 50% that was lost
since the start of this congress with pelosi "great" leadership. ie it
will have to grow 100% in 10 year. I will be dead before long before
then.

If you're trying to blame the Dems in the last two years for what Bush
did to the economy in the last eight, you've probably got a brain tumor
that's disrupting your cognitive function. Take a look at this. Looks
like you'll have plenty of time, assuming senility hasn't set it.

http://genxfinance.com/2007/11/26/a-...rom-1996-2007/

And if one looks he

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/history.gif

It's plain to see the largest percentage increase in national debt occured
under Clinton!

And takes off again under the Democratic controlled Congress!!!

Don't worry though, our kids and their kids and their kids will pay for it
all!!

Deficit spending - It's for the children!

That "for the children" argument doesn't wash when you're talking to a known
homosexual.

--
Gregory Hall

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:27:38 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

it isn't unless I sell or the company goes
worthless, after which I can then call it a loss.

You just keep telling yourself that. You'll sleep better.

So, you're claiming that it's a loss, yet you haven't yet substantiated that
with one thing. I sleep just fine.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:02:48 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

.. .
said:

it isn't unless I sell or the company goes
worthless, after which I can then call it a loss.

You just keep telling yourself that. You'll sleep better.

So, you're claiming that it's a loss, yet you haven't yet substantiated that
with one thing. I sleep just fine.

All in the timing.
Got a buddy about to retire who will roll his mostly equity 401k into
FDIC insured IRA's to lock in his future retirement funds.
Can't get that money out of the 401k until he retires.
He says he'll get less than the contributions that came out of his pay
checks.
There's a reason the guv put a 1.00 par guarantee on 401k money
market funds as one of the first acts of the current bailouts.
Otherwise the entire 401k rationale could be destroyed.
There would be no safe haven for your 401k retirement funds.
I thought 401k's would be kaput before I heard of the guarantee.
Always resented the non-free market nature of the 401k system.
For fiscal conservatives like me, the money markets weren't
competitive with what was available in the open market.
Of course I'm only talking about my company's 401k offerings, but
that fact is just more reinforcement of my notion.

--Vic

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:02:48 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

. ..
said:

[...]

You're right Vic. It's all about timing. One of the major problems is that
older people are forced to withdraw money, which means they do take a loss.
This needs to be addressed in my and others' opinions.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:35:08 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

One of the major problems is that
older people are forced to withdraw money, which means they do take a
loss.
This needs to be addressed

Well, at least you got it partly right.

Your conclusion is incorrect, of course, if one accepts the proposition
that
there is no loss until assets are sold. The distribution rules are
designed
to make sure Uncle gets his cut. They require that once the taxpayer
reaches
70 1/2 a minimum amount of assets be taken from the 401K each year and
put
somewhere else, and taxes are owed when the assets are taken out of the
401K. But there is no requirement that the assets be sold. They can be
transferred to a taxable account, and held in that account however long
you
like.

The problem is not the requirement to withdraw money, but the fact that
the
amount that must be withdrawn is based on the balance as of the close of
the
prior year. So if the total in the account is halved following the end of
the last year, the withdrawal requirement of 5% becomes 10% of the current
value of the account solely by operation of the formula. That wasn't what
was intended when the Congress critters decided it was critical for Uncle
Sam get its cut from all those rich oldsters.

If the assets are "taken out" and the taxes are paid, then what becomes of
the reduced assets is a loss.

It's nice to know that you've finally agreed with me.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Dave wrote:
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 15:38:10 -0800, "Capt. JG" said:

If the assets are "taken out" and the taxes are paid, then what becomes of
the reduced assets is a loss.

Why? You haven't sold them. Under your theory, no sale, no loss. And what's
with this "reduced assets?" You moved $10,000 in assets, let's say, from
your 401K to a taxable account at your broker's, wrote a check from your
checking account at the bank for the taxes on that $10,000, and continued to
hold the $10,000 in assets in your account at the broker's. No loss, right?

Another way of looking at it is if you must withdraw say 1000 a year
from you 10000 retirement fund to live. Your 1000 is 10% of you
retirement account. If the market drops by half you must now with draw
20% of the account to get the same 1000 required to live. If the market
has historically returned 10% per year the return on the first scenario
will match what you need to live. In the second scenario the return is
only half of the 20% you need to with draw. In this scenario your
retirement fund runs out in less than 10 years. Who is going to support
these people when their retirement is gone.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

said:

If the assets are "taken out" and the taxes are paid, then what becomes of
the reduced assets is a loss.

Why? You haven't sold them. Under your theory, no sale, no loss. And
what's
with this "reduced assets?" You moved $10,000 in assets, let's say, from
your 401K to a taxable account at your broker's, wrote a check from your
checking account at the bank for the taxes on that $10,000, and continued
hold the $10,000 in assets in your account at the broker's. No loss,
right?

?? If I had stock that was worth $100K, then, after the drop in stock
market, it would be worth say 1/2 that; however, no actual loss happens
unless I move the reduced assets to another set of instruments. If I do
that, I have built in the loss. If I don't move them, and the stock market
comes back, nothing changes except time. Are you really confused or just
trying to cover yourself?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

said:

[...]

You've identified the problem, basically. Now, I don't know your situation,
but for me, I don't have to touch anything. I can wait out the return in
value without taking a loss, since nothing in my portfolio will change.

Who's going to support these people? The taxpayers of course! We already do
that for millions of people. We do that via programs like welfare, medicare,
social security, etc. It's a good and bad thing. It's good because we (well,
most of us) care about our fellow citizens. It's a bad thing (especially
now) because the price is so high and we can't continue forever at such a
high price.

We need to find solutions, and claiming, as Dave does, that it's solely the
function of the private sector is a fantasy at best. The ultimate "private
sector" scenario transfers all social programs, including police and fire to
those who can afford them, which is a non-serious argument.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 17:21:26 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

Please show me how I would account for my supposed 401K losses when it
comes
time to file my return. Should I deduct the $100K?

Different question entirely. There are significant differences between the
way things are reported for tax purposes and the way they are accounted
for
under generally accepted accounting principles. Else there would be no
such
thing as loss carry-forwards and deferred tax assets. So you report the
losses the same way you accounted for the gains, if any, you had before
the
market decline.

There are also major differences between cash accounting and accrual
accounting. Accrual accounting is generally designed to eliminate the
effect
of the accident of when cash is received or paid, and reflect the
underlying
economic impact of events occurring during a period. On a cash basis, you
wouldn't record a gain or loss on an asset until the asset is sold. But if
you let that fact obscure the underlying economic reality you are simply
fooling yourself..

So, according to the IRS no loss took place. According to my regular bank
balance, no loss took place. According to my ability to buy bread with cash
on hand or with my credit card, no loss took place. So, according to my
credit score, nothing has changed.

This I would argue, say you want to start up a nifty new
environmentally friendly business recycling used (insert whatever here),
you need 750K to start up your plant.

You don't have 750K on hand, so you want to borrow it. A year ago you
had a house with market value of 400K and a 401 with a value of 600K,,,
if you put these up as a collateral, the loan should be a cinch.

This year your house has a market value of 200K and your 401 is now only
worth 400K,,, the bank may well think a bit differently about lending
you 750K....

Cheers
Martin
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

?? If I had stock that was worth $100K, then, after the drop in stock
market, it would be worth say 1/2 that; however, no actual loss happens
unless I move the reduced assets to another set of instruments. If I do
that, I have built in the loss. If I don't move them, and the stock market
comes back, nothing changes except time. Are you really confused or just
trying to cover yourself?

At the age of 18 one puts $10,000 away in a retirement account. By age 58 it
is worth $1,000,000. The market crashes and at age 68 upon withdrawal it is
worth $10,000.

No loss eh?

Inflation?

Time value of money?

"Nothing changes except time". All right, loan me 100K$ today, I'll pay it
all back in 25 years, every cent and you wouldn't have lost anything. It's
only time.

Here's an MBA prep power point slide. Maybe you zoning out that day in
class:

itc.utk.edu/spotlight/archive/murphy/MBA_Prep_Summer_Tech.ppt