posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default 7.4 Trillion! 7.4!!!!

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:02:48 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:27:38 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

it isn't unless I sell or the company goes
worthless, after which I can then call it a loss.

You just keep telling yourself that. You'll sleep better.

So, you're claiming that it's a loss, yet you haven't yet substantiated
that
with one thing. I sleep just fine.

All in the timing.
Got a buddy about to retire who will roll his mostly equity 401k into
FDIC insured IRA's to lock in his future retirement funds.
Can't get that money out of the 401k until he retires.
He says he'll get less than the contributions that came out of his pay
checks.
There's a reason the guv put a 1.00 par guarantee on 401k money
market funds as one of the first acts of the current bailouts.
Otherwise the entire 401k rationale could be destroyed.
There would be no safe haven for your 401k retirement funds.
I thought 401k's would be kaput before I heard of the guarantee.
Always resented the non-free market nature of the 401k system.
For fiscal conservatives like me, the money markets weren't
competitive with what was available in the open market.
Of course I'm only talking about my company's 401k offerings, but
that fact is just more reinforcement of my notion.

--Vic

You're right Vic. It's all about timing. One of the major problems is that
older people are forced to withdraw money, which means they do take a loss.
This needs to be addressed in my and others' opinions.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com