posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Whooopeee!!!!!

Charles Momsen wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message
troll sh*t removed

And now Harry and Nancy want to use it to bail out the UAW.

Do you believe that we should allow the Big Three to fail? I'm kinda on
the fence about this... on the one hand, I think we should, because they
got themselves into this mess. On the other hand, this would displace
millions of people.... not exactly the best thing to do in the current
economy.

Going into bankruptcy and receivership is not necessarily failure.

Yeah right. Would you buy a vehicle from a company that had filed for
Chapter 11? If so I think you'd be in the minority.

Cheers
Martin
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:39:47 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

I suspect so in many cases. Thanks to the enviros, they are required to
sell
a bunch of cars the people don't want to buy in order to be able to sell
enough of the larger cars that people do want. To get people to buy they
have to drop the price on the ones no one wants to buy in order to get
them
sold.

Huh?? Forced to sell cars that don't sell? Nonsense. They may be dumb but
they're not stupid.

The problem is not the big three's stupidity (well, it is in part, but
that's another story). The problem is the guvmint's stupidity. All those
Congress critters you elected.

??? Totally strange response. Toyota/Honda and others sell very enviro
friendly cars, lots and lots of them, for more money. GM totally screwed
up... for decades! I'd call that pretty stupid. How is the gov't suddenly
preventing GM from selling cars??????

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:24:38 -0600, Vic Smith
said:

But labor/legacy costs must also be a big factor in their
profitability.

Of course. And with their labor/legacy cost disadvantage they have to sell
more of the heavier vehicles carrying a higher margin in order to make a
profit. But the guvmint won't let them do that unless they also sell a
bunch
of econo boxes, and if they were to price those econo boxes to take
account
of their higher costs, nobody would buy them.

No doubt their basic strategy is flawed, but it's flawed in substantial
part
because current management's hands are tied by all the past gimmes given
their unions. Wages for people not to work! Sound a bit like income tax
cuts
for people who don't pay income taxes?

HUH?? Toyota sells high end hybrids with a nice margin. What's preventing GM
from selling decent cars??

Gimmes to unions?? These were NEGOTIATED contracts, which the unions are
willing to talk about going forward.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:54:13 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

I have a very hard time believing that any company would pay someone not
work. It certainly can't be significant, given the other huge benefit
costs,
which is the major contributor to the cost of their autos/trucks.

You need to do some homework. Google up "jobs bank."

What's the
percentage? I'd be interested to know. As far as giving up part of their
wages, it seems to me that if one has a choice between a job that pays a
bit
less vs. not having a job, it's a no-brainer.

I think perhaps you should 'splain that to the UAW leadership.

You need to try your own research suggestions.

The additional cost is about $1600 per car. That's a lot. But, they sell
crappy cars. The UAW is willing to put "all of the benefits" on the table,
according to their pres.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:44:47 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

Gimmes to unions?? These were NEGOTIATED contracts, which the unions are
willing to talk about going forward.

You just keep telling yourself that, Jon.

Unions exempt from anti-trust laws.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 18 Nov 2008 17:27:02 -0600, Dave wrote:

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:23:50 -0500, Marty said:

So what is your version of THE TRUTH, Not at All? What should be done about
the Big Three? Throw taxpayer money at them so the UAW bosses can keep their
jobs?

Dave, you do realize that unions *negotiate* with companies? Both sides
*agree* to a contract and sign it. If the company negotiates a
contract that kills the company who's fault is that?

Certainly not the taxpayers' fault, is it? Should the taxpayers expect to
absorb the cost of the foolishness of the auto company management and the
UAW workers who followed their short-sighted leaders? I don't think so.

I think you should come up with some scratch and by yourself a new
Chevy to help make it work the way it was supposed to work.

Buying that cheap used Buick was pretty darned unpatriotic of you. No
wonder they are struggling!