Carey Robson

Default Canadian Canoe Museum Closed

Thanks for sharing the information David. I have posted a link to the story
on www.CanoeBC.ca I have also posted the Honourable Sheila Copps, Minister
of Culture, email address, It would be a good thing for the Canadian
Government to get involved on a continuing basis in preserving and promoting
this unique museum.

Perhaps other members of the international paddling community will lend
their voices.

Sincerely,
Carey Robson
Master Instructor - Recreational Canoeing Association of British Columbia
Administrator - www.CanoeBC.ca

"akasharkbow" wrote in message
s.com...
It is a really, really sad day for the paddling community.

David H. Johnston

Tommy T.

The museum also maintained a wonderful web site with much information about
canoeing. That site seems to be shut down as well.

Tommy T.

Carol Haynes

That is really sad - a great place to visit. Having said that I couldn't
work out why it was located in Peterborough - bit out of the way really,
esp. for foreign visitors like me.

Carol Haynes

"Tommy T." wrote in message

The museum also maintained a wonderful web site with much information

about
canoeing. That site seems to be shut down as well.

Tommy T.

Mike Taylor

It could have been worse. It could have been in Sudbury, ON or Brandon,
Manitoba or St. Anthony, NL.... Canada is a big country.
Mike
in really out of the way Lunenburg, NS

"Tommy T." wrote in message

The museum also maintained a wonderful web site with much information

about
canoeing. That site seems to be shut down as well.

Tommy T.

ted blake

It's unfortunate that they closed but.......they DID NOTHING for the canoe
public and were VERY uncooperative in giving up information for research.
Everything was top secrect and "too busy" or "won't help"
Looks` good on them.
The board had to clean house !!!!!!!

"Carey Robson" wrote in message
Thanks for sharing the information David. I have posted a link to the

story
on www.CanoeBC.ca I have also posted the Honourable Sheila Copps, Minister
of Culture, email address, It would be a good thing for the Canadian
Government to get involved on a continuing basis in preserving and

promoting
this unique museum.

Perhaps other members of the international paddling community will lend
their voices.

Sincerely,
Carey Robson
Master Instructor - Recreational Canoeing Association of British Columbia
Administrator - www.CanoeBC.ca

"akasharkbow" wrote in message
s.com...
It is a really, really sad day for the paddling community.

David H. Johnston

Mike McCrea

Long thread in CCR forum about the closu

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtopic.php?t=6764

It's a shame, but the semi-gritty urban location (I know, I know,
Peterborugh was the *center* of Canadian Canoe making and all) wasn't
exactly along a general tourist route or one frequented by paddlers.
If you visited the Canadian Canoe Museum you probably sought it out
specifically and didn't just happen upon it on a day when you had time
to visit, or go there on the spur of the moment to fritter away a
rainy day.

The difference was apparent on mid-summer (July) visits to the
Canadian Canoe Museum and the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake.
The Adirondack Museum was so crowded we decided to skip even going in
- at the Canadian Canoe Museum the number of visitors more than
doubled when I went in with my wife and two sons.

While I certainly enjoyed the Canadian Canoe Museum for the laid back
and uncrowded nature of our visitI could imagine how it could stay
open with so few paying customers.

The museum need to go (relocate) to where the visitors are (can you
say "somewhere near Algonquin Park?)
Mark Steward

I visited this area of Canada in the summer, but never got around to seeing
the museum.

If the museum were in Huntsville (near Algonquin) it would go down a storm
with visitors.

It would also go down well if it were at Upper Canada Village which is an
open air museum not that far away from Peterborough.

Mark (in London, UK)
"Mike McCrea" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Jean-Michel Hardy

If there is no canoe museum in Canada anymore, where in the world would be
one? It's a bloody shame?
Can you imagine Belgium without a beer museum, Romania without a vampire
museum and France without a defeat museum?

.. .