Jim Schlemmer

Default Any opinions on the Nunu Xl?

From Clearwater Designs in Ontario:

http://www.clearwater.on.ca/kayaks.html#nunuxl

I'm new to kayaking and would like to get into whitewater up in the ADKs.

-jim
Wilko

Jim Schlemmer wrote:

From Clearwater Designs in Ontario:

http://www.clearwater.on.ca/kayaks.html#nunuxl

I'm new to kayaking and would like to get into whitewater up in the ADKs.

That depends upon what kind of white water you'd like to paddle. That
Nunu XL is a recreational kayak, not a white water kayak. For really
easy white water you probably wouldn't limit yourself too much...

If you would really like to get some white water experience, why don't
you check if there's a paddling club in your area, where you can try out
some boats and see if you can get some information on decent white water
kayaks, paddling gear, water reading and safety?

On top of that, a paddling club might get you in touch with some people
to go paddling with (very practical if you don't have someone to pick
you up at the end of the stretch that you'd like to paddle: white water
paddling is basically a gravity based sport...).

HTH...

--
Wilko van den Bergh
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe

Mike Taylor

I started doing class 1 and 2 WW in a 9'2" Critter, but it after about a
year I had to make the move to a real whitewater boat. The Critter is still
great for noodling around ocean bays and out around the islands. A rec boat
is forgiving and stable and while it doesn't do any specialized paddling
well (ie. whitewater, surfing, sea-kayaking), it will do it all. The shape
of the ends of a recreational boat is the most limiting factor; the vertical
profile cuts into the water instead of "planing", so your maneuverability is
limited. Wilko makes a good point about finding people to paddle with to
try it out. My group here welcomes beginners, first timers, old timers, hard
timers.... Then, if you're in Ontario?, you should be able to pick up a
used WW boat for around $500 cdn - that should last you 3 or 4 years.
BTW, what's the ADK?
Mike in Lunenburg

"Wilko" wrote in message
Jim Schlemmer wrote:

From Clearwater Designs in Ontario:

[...]

Jim Schlemmer

"Mike Taylor" wrote in message ...
I started doing class 1 and 2 WW in a 9'2" Critter, but it after about a
year I had to make the move to a real whitewater boat. The Critter is still
great for noodling around ocean bays and out around the islands. A rec boat
is forgiving and stable and while it doesn't do any specialized paddling
well (ie. whitewater, surfing, sea-kayaking), it will do it all. The shape
of the ends of a recreational boat is the most limiting factor; the vertical
profile cuts into the water instead of "planing", so your maneuverability is
limited. Wilko makes a good point about finding people to paddle with to

Thanks for the advice Mike (and Wilko too). There seem to be a
limited number of used kayaks on the market around here (Albany, NY,
USA). I'll have to try to seek out some club or other. There's lots
of whitewater rafting companies around, that's for sure.

BTW, what's the ADK?

Sorry about the local abbreviation. ADK = Adirondack Mountains (in
upstate NY).

-jim
Wilko

Jim Schlemmer wrote:

Sorry about the local abbreviation. ADK = Adirondack Mountains (in
upstate NY).

Jim, have a look on http://Boatertalk.com . In there you can find a
"Gear Swap" forum, that has boats for sale. Still, if I were you, I'd
get in touch with a paddling club first. That makes sure that you can
try out some boats and that you don't but something (very expensive)
that is way over your head.

On http://Americanwhitewater.org you can find clubs:

http://americanwhitewater.org/affiliates/

There are some shops and outfitters on that site that might have second
hand boats for sale as well :

http://americanwhitewater.org/ggs/region/NY/

HTH...

--
Wilko van den Bergh
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe
Look at the possibilities, don't worry about the limitations.
http://wilko.webzone.ru/

New Boat - 2 Choices... Opinions? Professional Target General 8 July 19th 04 09:02 PM
Opinions on P&H Orca??? bub Touring 6 July 11th 04 12:52 PM
GPS/Sounder; Garmin or Lowrance - Opinions? I Boater Electronics 2 March 21st 04 08:32 AM
Opinions on Sea Ray Sundeck 190 Sandy Cruising 0 February 9th 04 01:34 PM
Gozzard 31 opinions KC Cruising 0 October 15th 03 03:27 PM