Nobody

Default dagger gt 8.1 vs rpm max

I've been paddling for several years but only started whitewater paddling
this spring. I'm 6'6", 215 lbs and have size 12 feet. I'm looking to buy a
boat. I'm not sure I'll ever be really serious about playboating. I don't
see
myself going over "large ( 6') drops). I just want to be able to travel the
rivers and creeks safely and have a decent boat to practice and build
confidence. I've been looking at either a Dagger RPM max or a Dagger GT 8.1.
I fit into these pretty comfortably. I've read the online reviews and most
people
seem to be happy with either. The local schools use RPM's/RPM max's, but
I don't see many on the rivers otherwise.

Once I make a major purchase like this, I tend to stick with it, so I don't
want
to make a mistake.

If anybody has experience with either/both of these boats and has a
recommendation, I'd appreciate any advice you might have.

I've also considered a Perception Supersonic (8.5, I think), but nobody in
my
area stocks them for me to try out. The online reviews were mediocre. Any
suggestions here?

Mary Malmros

"Nobody" writes:

I've been paddling for several years but only started whitewater paddling
this spring. I'm 6'6", 215 lbs and have size 12 feet. I'm looking to buy a
boat. I'm not sure I'll ever be really serious about playboating. I don't
see
myself going over "large ( 6') drops). I just want to be able to travel the
rivers and creeks safely and have a decent boat to practice and build
confidence. I've been looking at either a Dagger RPM max or a Dagger GT 8.1.
I fit into these pretty comfortably. I've read the online reviews and most
people
seem to be happy with either. The local schools use RPM's/RPM max's, but
I don't see many on the rivers otherwise.

It's an older boat, but still a useful design.

Once I make a major purchase like this, I tend to stick with it, so I don't
want
to make a mistake.

Well...if you're new to whitewater paddling, it's impossible to
really know for sure what kind of paddling you'll want to be doing
down the road -- as with any other activity. People change and all
that.

If anybody has experience with either/both of these boats and has a
recommendation, I'd appreciate any advice you might have.

I've paddled both, in rather different conditions, so here's what I
can tell you.

First, about playfulness. You say you don't think you'll "ever be
really serious" about playboating, which is fine...but a great many
whitewater boats who aren't "really serious" about playboating,
still want to be able to do the occasional trick or two besides
surfing. With the RPM or the GT, you'll have a hell of a time doing
so much as a stern squirt, and you can pretty much rule anything
else out...except if you're in the kind of water where any ends you
throw are likely not be planned. OTOH, there are plenty of good
river-running designs out there now that will also let you get some
ends, if and when you want to.

Second, about hull design. Both of these boats are relatively long
straight boats, as opposed to short round playboating fatties.
That's where the resemblance ends, however, as the RPM has a
displacement hull, rounded and rolly, and the GT has a flat hull
with hard chines. Because of its rolly hull, the RPM can in some
ways be more forgiving of sloppy technique: it's easier to roll,
meaning that in many circumstances, you can half-ass it and still
get up, and the edges will have somewhat less tendency to catch if
you're lazy about leaning the proper direction. The GT has better
secondary stability. Both track like they're on rails. I am not a
fan of displacement hulls; IMO the somewhat easier initial learning
curve is not worth what you give up down the road. At the very
least, the GT's feel is closer to that of a typical modern
whitewater boat, which is useful if you ever use another boat.

I've also considered a Perception Supersonic (8.5, I think), but nobody in
my
area stocks them for me to try out. The online reviews were mediocre. Any
suggestions here?

No personal experience, although I've seen 'em in action many
times. Let me ask, though: what made you choose this particular
"short list" of boats?

--
Mary Malmros