Rob

Default RADAR AERIAL MAST

Hi,

I am looking to make a short hinged mast for a radar aerial from
aluminium tube for an inland waterways vessel. The aerial weighs 4.6
kg and mounts on a plate 210mm x 210mm. Was thinking of using a 1 1/4
inch 16 gauge aluminium tube, with a flat 10mm plate welded across the
top. Total mast length around 2.5m, with approx 1.25m above the
pivot.
Grateful for any thoughts.

TVMIA
Gordon Wedman

I think 10 pounds atop a 4 foot pole that is only 1 1/4 inches will sway and
vibrate a lot. Probably crack the welds after a while. All the movement
will also mess up the radar image. If you braced it with guy wires it might
be OK.
Most of the commercial radar poles are 2 1/2 to 3 inch tubing. Do a search
on garhauer radar pole and edson radar pole. Even these use braces going to
the stern rails.

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I am looking to make a short hinged mast for a radar aerial from
aluminium tube for an inland waterways vessel. The aerial weighs 4.6
kg and mounts on a plate 210mm x 210mm. Was thinking of using a 1 1/4
inch 16 gauge aluminium tube, with a flat 10mm plate welded across the
top. Total mast length around 2.5m, with approx 1.25m above the
pivot.
Grateful for any thoughts.

TVMIA

Dave

Suggest you look at this web page to purchase a radar base mount

http://www.craysidemarine.co.uk/ click on the Specials menu and look for
"stainless"

It shows a picture of a base but I know he will make one similar for you

Regards

Dave

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I am looking to make a short hinged mast for a radar aerial from
aluminium tube for an inland waterways vessel. The aerial weighs 4.6
kg and mounts on a plate 210mm x 210mm. Was thinking of using a 1 1/4
inch 16 gauge aluminium tube, with a flat 10mm plate welded across the
top. Total mast length around 2.5m, with approx 1.25m above the
pivot.
Grateful for any thoughts.

TVMIA

Rob

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in message news:peVhc.3479$mP2.1092@edtnps89...
I think 10 pounds atop a 4 foot pole that is only 1 1/4 inches will sway and
vibrate a lot. Probably crack the welds after a while. All the movement
will also mess up the radar image. If you braced it with guy wires it might
be OK.
Most of the commercial radar poles are 2 1/2 to 3 inch tubing. Do a search
on garhauer radar pole and edson radar pole. Even these use braces going to
the stern rails.

Thanks - now I recall picking up a 3inch spinnaker boom which I
should be able to use and should be strong enough.

none

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:56:12 +0100, Peter Keating
wrote:

Why do you need a radar for an inland waterways boat anyway, I'm
surprised
nobody else has asked this fundamental queston.snip

rain, fog, darkness.
rick

Mike

Doh!

Funny enough there are a few thousand of us that keep our boats on Inland
Waterways because thats near where we live, BUT we choose to take them to
sea for holidays.

In the last couple of years, we have visited Holland, Belgium, France and
the East Coast of England from a base at Bray near Maidenhead.

Mike

Rob wrote:

Hi,

I am looking to make a short hinged mast for a radar aerial from
aluminium tube for an inland waterways vessel. The aerial weighs 4.6
kg and mounts on a plate 210mm x 210mm. Was thinking of using a 1 1/4
inch 16 gauge aluminium tube, with a flat 10mm plate welded across the
top. Total mast length around 2.5m, with approx 1.25m above the
pivot.
Grateful for any thoughts.

TVMIA

rhys

wrote:

Why do you need a radar for an inland waterways boat anyway, I'm
surprised
nobody else has asked this fundamental queston.snip

rain, fog, darkness.
rick

Well, I sail in front of Toronto, where there is a pretty well
continuous loom of lights from 20 miles east of the city for 60 miles
west to Hamilton and beyond. Radar in conjunction with GPS helps a
great deal in conditions when the night pilotage is confusing due to
TOO MANY signals.

It's a helpful adjunct, particularly at night, but not restricted to
then. In addition, it can provide an early warning of approaching line
squalls, a great help during hot summer weather hereabouts.

R.

tyvek (long) William R. Watt Boat Building 2 June 30th 04 05:09 AM
RADAR AERIAL MAST Rob Boat Building 10 April 28th 04 04:46 AM
RADAR AERIAL MAST Rob Electronics 8 April 28th 04 04:46 AM
Questions on Radar Lloyd Sumpter Electronics 24 December 21st 03 07:16 PM
Vessel detectors - radar visibility of your own vessel john s. Cruising 16 August 27th 03 12:53 AM