696

Default Snoby Pastime?

Tony
what a coincidence, I live in Exmouth
and my boat doesnt sit in the harbour, not at £1400 a year
my boat gets out and used, its highly polished (well clean) and about 1/3
mile from the slipway,
if you want to remenis (not sure thats spelt right) check

www.exmouthcam.co.uk click on Exmouth Docks

"Tony Kenny" wrote in message
om...
Hi Derek,

Sounds like a couple that were pointed out when I was in Exmouth doing
my level 2. They sit in their highly polished boat and I'm told it
never leaves its birth! The just run the engine and sit. What a
waste! (well, in my humble opinion).

As for a salt encrusted whatsit, despite doing my course on the sea
I'm still terrified of it but I'd love to spend a few days on a real
boat and really see what its like!

For advice I usually rely on a couple of friends who have been boating
since childhood and are now retired so they know a thing or two and
know how to do it on a budget, but they do sails mainly so not so good
for my stink-boating desires (though I'd like to try sails too).

Another friendly person emailed me this morning with a website that is
100% exactly what I'm looking for! In my price range too!

http://www.bosunsmate.co.uk/

Hopefully we'll get inflated Then I just need to sell our old boat
but might have to use the engine off it so might not be easy to sell

Thanks again, hope to meet some of you in real life sometime. By the
way, Cumbria is far from Snobby enjoying some of the best house prices
(for buyers) in the country! and still being less than a quarter
of a mile from the slipway

cheers

Tony

"Derek.Moody" wrote in message

In article , Tony Kenny
wrote:

Not so bothered about what other people think, its how they act when
you talk about spending less than than the price of a house on a boat.

If all they know about boats is the price it is safer to ignore them.

You get them in many ports. Terrified when a salt encrusted weather

bleached
bluewater voyager returns and ties alongside in case their

highly-polished
used twice a year but never out of sight of land overpriced virility
substitute is smirched with southern ocean tar picked up when the lines
were trailed in a hurricane off Tierra del Fuego.

To find the sort of people you should listen to go down to the water in

the
off season and see who's taking advantage of the peace.

Cheerio,

BrianR

Have you looked in the magazine "By a Boat for Under £10,000" The title
might have changed to £15,000 or even £20,000 by now, but it has boats from
a few hundred pounds upwards.

"Tony Kenny" wrote in message
om...
Hello again,

After our first experience or powerboating last year in our cheap
14foot boat with 20hp engine and getting through my level 2 cert
without a problem we've decided that we'd rather look at something
inflatable rather than our deep vee hull which is impossible to beach
up on islands to take a walk in the lakes.

However, as we found last year, unless we have 30grand to spend,
people and retailers in this sport appear very disinterested and some
even s****** or turn their nose up at smaller craft and young players
such as ourselves.

Is this the norm? Do we have to save up 20,000 pounds just to earn a
little respect? Can't we simply enjoy the sport without spending
6months salary on a craft?

Whilst we're at it, where should we look for used 4man (ish)
inflatables?
Ideally we'd like to get into this for around 1000 pounds. Don't need
anything amazing, something that will stay inflated with an engine big
enough to keep 4 people at 10knots. We have a 14footer with 20hp
mercury to part ex or sell. We _think_ the boat is a 'SeaSpray' but
cannot be sure.

Thank you though to all those ho have been helpful and remembered that
they were once young and still having to pay the mortgage On the
whole many people are friendly, it's mainly retailers and more
seasoned owners are the problem.

regards

Tony

Derek.Moody

In article , Tony Kenny
wrote:

Sounds like a couple that were pointed out when I was in Exmouth doing
my level 2. They sit in their highly polished boat and I'm told it
never leaves its birth! The just run the engine and sit. What a
waste! (well, in my humble opinion).

Might as well have a stationary caravan. In a way they are harmless as long
as they don't go out.

As for a salt encrusted whatsit, despite doing my course on the sea
I'm still terrified of it but I'd love to spend a few days on a real

Healthy :-)

Thanks again, hope to meet some of you in real life sometime. By the
way, Cumbria is far from Snobby enjoying some of the best house prices
(for buyers) in the country! and still being less than a quarter
of a mile from the slipway

And there are places (look around Barrow) where a beginner can get afloat in
relative shelter and explore - 'ware the tides though.

Cheerio,

Steve Barlow

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:20:33 +0000 (UTC), "696"
wrote:

Hark at him with an education
He must be SNOBIE !

"Peter Keating" wrote in message
May I just be snobby and point out that snoby has 2 B's Peter

Actually pedantic not snobby.
--
Steve Barlow
roddytoo

wrote:

Hark at him with an education
He must be SNOBIE !

"Peter Keating" wrote in message
May I just be snobby and point out that snoby has 2 B's Peter

Actually pedantic not snobby.
--
Steve Barlow

Live and let live, if he wants to call it 'snoby' that's not offensive,
surely|?

Tony Kenny

Hi,

We're actually in Barrow, well, Walney to be more precise.
We pop down to Exmouth often too as my fiancee is from there.

Anyway, certainly got some good responses here, despite my obvious
spelling or typing deficiency

thanks again everybody!