posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

Default Kayak shortening?

Dear All,

I have recently acquired 2 fibreglass kayaks.

Given our lack of storage space, I am considering shortening them.

Has anyone done this before?

I have done some research into glass fibre moulding, and if I was to do
it, was planning on making a male mould that I would leave wedged into
the cut ends and lay the fibre over it. My brother has some experience
of glass fibre moulding and is prepared to advise too.

One is 3900 long, the other 4200 long. The width is around 600mm.

I have calculated the volume of the shorter one as being around 360
litres.

Surely I can afford to lose some volume given that some modern kayaks
are as little as 180 litres and I'm not that heavy?

I read a little somewhere about people shortening plastic kayaks, so I
would have thought this would be more straightforward?

I know it could be quite time consuming but it seems a shame not to
make use of kayaks that would otherwise have been destined for
landfill!

Any advice gratefully received!

Regards,

Nick

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

Thanks for your quick reply Pete!

I am glad that this sort of thing has been done before!

How much was chopped from the stern of your boat?

How was the stern sealed? With fibreglass sheet?

I'm not too bothered about straight line efficiency, so long as it
floats, that's the main thing and making it short enough for easier
storage.

Our local river is overgrown in places so having a shorter boat will
help when avoiding fallen branches etc.

Thanks very much,

Nick

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

Thanks again.

I'll continue with some more research before I get the saw out!

Regards,

Nick

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

Shortening the kayak will no likely change the handling characteristics of
the boat. I had a discussion with someone who did this but do not recall the
details. Your weight distribution will change, moving the seat forward could
compensate.

I believe that they cut a "v" out of the bottom and pulled the sides
together.

Sean

ups.com...