posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Peter Clinch Peter Clinch is offline

Default Kayak shortening?

wrote:

I have recently acquired 2 fibreglass kayaks.

Given our lack of storage space, I am considering shortening them.

Has anyone done this before?

The previous owner of my sea kayak chopped the stern end off to put a
C-Trim rudder mount at the back. It still works fine... I have got the
original end and he's offered to glass it back on if I want, as you
suggest it's not impossible to do this sort of thing with fibreglass.

Surely I can afford to lose some volume given that some modern kayaks
are as little as 180 litres and I'm not that heavy?

Volume isn't the only issue. Hull *shape* will affect the boat handling
to some extent. Also, reducing waterline length will probably reduce
the hull speed. On the plus side, you might end up with something
easier to turn.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK