posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
muzz

Default What's been Happeining.

Well as I had trouble with the news server on my new ISP I have been
frequenting the UKRGB forum instead of this ng. Through the winter I managed
to attend some pool sessions but didn't quite get my rolling sorted. I
recently did a nice local trip in the touring boat, there's a link and pics
on my site.
I also just got hold of a second hand Pyranha I3 in order to get some more
non 'bouncy-salty-stuff' experience. My son will be getting a Dagger Dynamo
for his birthday in a couple of weeks ( he went to some pool sessions with
me too ) and I also start my 3 star course about then.

Last September I decided to have a go at kayaking to see if I liked it, I
think I like it.

--
Muzz
my email is muzzmackay 'at' gmail 'dot' com

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
peter

muzz wrote:

http://www.geocities.com/tripdogmonkey

Nice pictures - I wish I lived where you do :-(

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Peter Clinch

muzz wrote:
Through the winter I managed
to attend some pool sessions but didn't quite get my rolling sorted.

Having observed quite a few folk (including me) learning, with some it
does take a while but it usually "clicks" at some point and then it's
sorted. Once you've got it sorted in the pool then a surfing expedition
in your I3 (just in small stuff!) is a good way to get used to rolling
in anger as there's a /very/ good chance of going over, and in any case
it's good practice for landing the touring boat through surf. Your
braces and rudders will get a /lot/ better!

Enjoy, Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:
Once you've got it
sorted in the pool then a surfing expedition in your I3
(just in small stuff!) is a good way to get used to
rolling in anger as there's a /very/ good chance of going
over,

Funny you should mention that, I was in the sea near the house in it on
Friday and got tipped over. I was quite happy that I got out of it Ok as
it's a snug fit, and my pal got a good laugh too.

peter wrote:
muzz wrote:

http://www.geocities.com/tripdogmonkey

Nice pictures - I wish I lived where you do :-(

Here's a bad thing about living where I do. I was trying to get hold of a
pair of wheels to make myself a trolley for the kayak. Here's the response
to one such enquiry:

Thank your very much for your kind enquiry on pneumatic tyred wheels series
BZWPP for which we have the pleasure in submitting you our quotation as
follows:

Item 1: 2 x BZWPP200202R @ £15.88 each nett

Black pneumatic tyred black polypropylene centred
wheel with a plain bore.

Diameter: 200mm, Tread width: 50mm , Hub length:
60mm, Bore size: 20mm, Load capacity: 75kg.

Please note: On a 200mm wheel diameter the tread width of the wheel is
smaller than 85mm.

Carriage: Carriage will be charged at £26.00nett to the Scottish
Highlands.

Availability: All items are ex-stock, subject to prior sales.

We hope our quotation meets with your approval and we will have the pleasure
in receiving your valued purchase order which will receive our careful
attention.

muzz wrote:

Here's a bad thing about living where I do. I was trying to get hold of a
pair of wheels to make myself a trolley for the kayak.snip

The trolley I wheeled my boat onto the Shetland ferry with was build by
a pal from a former wheelie bin, for rather less than the cost you got
quoted for postage!

Not as good as a "proper" kayak trolley, but /very/ cost effective!

Pete.

Peter Clinch wrote:

The trolley I wheeled my boat onto the Shetland ferry
with was build by a pal from a former wheelie bin, for
rather less than the cost you got quoted for postage!

Not as good as a "proper" kayak trolley, but /very/ cost
effective!
Pete.

I already have all the other components and tried a pair of old scooter
wheels which were only 'driveable' on the tarmac. If I can't get an
affordable pneumatic pair I'm going over to the big field near my house.
It's always full of these people hitting balls about with sticks which they
carry in bags on decent looking wheels.

--
Muzz
my email is muzzmackay 'at' gmail 'dot' com
http://www.geocities.com/tripdogmonkey

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Fishwick

In article , muzz none@?.?
writes
Peter Clinch wrote:

The trolley I wheeled my boat onto the Shetland ferry
with was build by a pal from a former wheelie bin, for
rather less than the cost you got quoted for postage!

Not as good as a "proper" kayak trolley, but /very/ cost
effective!
Pete.

I already have all the other components and tried a pair of old scooter
wheels which were only 'driveable' on the tarmac. If I can't get an
affordable pneumatic pair I'm going over to the big field near my house.
It's always full of these people hitting balls about with sticks which they
carry in bags on decent looking wheels.

Golf trolley wheels are quite strong enough for a canoe. Try & get the
sort that come on their own stub axle. You can fit it into a suitable
hole.

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Peter Clinch

Martin Richardson wrote:

I find car wheels quite helpful - and the engine provides the power to
move along :-)

If only Northlink Ferries didn't subsequently charge you for it, that
would be just dandy... ;-/ (the boat by itself goes as a solo m/cycle,
*much* cheaper!)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Ewan Scott

On Mon, 08 May 2006 08:44:38 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

muzz wrote:
Through the winter I managed
to attend some pool sessions but didn't quite get my rolling sorted.

Having observed quite a few folk (including me) learning, with some it
does take a while but it usually "clicks" at some point and then it's
sorted. Once you've got it sorted in the pool then a surfing expedition
in your I3 (just in small stuff!) is a good way to get used to rolling
in anger as there's a /very/ good chance of going over, and in any case
it's good practice for landing the touring boat through surf. Your
braces and rudders will get a /lot/ better!

Inded it does just click. It doesn't seem to mater how hard we try to
explain or demonstrate or sit and watch rolling videos, people
generally can't roll until it clicks.

I've gop the the stage that we tell them they are going to do a guided
roll, we set them up and and we guide the paddle out. They
automatically scull/brace/hipflick and roll up.

It give them a feel for what they might be looking for.

Oddly though, once they can roll and they start analysing what they
are doing, it all goes to pot again for a couple of weeks :-)

Ewan Scott