Bernie Inakayak

Default Spraydeck help, the other side of the story

My problem is the opposite, the deck is just a little too loose, and
came off once when a rather large wave landed right on top of us. I'm
wondering if anyone has experience of tightening a loose deck.

Bernie

Dare we ask WW or sea.
Hardly matters really . the deck likely is a misfit for the boat but if
it is the right deck there may be a bungee that you can tighten or
replace.
If you have great big waves 6 + feet breaking on you an implosion bar
may be required. I have two decks with them but I have no idea who made
them.
It is a batton sewn into the neoprene and rests atop the thigh braces
so a crushing wave will not simply push down on all the deck but this
rib will support the middle of the preasure zone deminishing the
preasure on the rand.
Be carefull. I use a ww deck on one of ny sea kayaks and accidently
left the pull tab inside . I had to bail that time. I got endered and
was amongst rocks so wanted out of the boat. I had a hell of a time
getting the spray deck off. It did not pop with my legs and by the time
I got a leg up to give me something to grab and I pulled it off i was
15 meters from shore in a rip tide.
The point of this story is , Don't go anal trying to get a tight deck,
it could kill you. Water temp wa sub zero that day .
Take care
aLEX

Bernie Inakayak

Hi Alex,

Interesting response. It is a Dancer, I use it in the sea and on
rivers, but the deck popped off in the sea, surfing. It's a Kogg deck,
I think it is the correct size for the boat, it was a pretty big wave.
Taking account of what you say, I might just leave things as they are
for now.

The deck has its"pull tab" in the form of a belt that runs from one
side to the other. You can't trap it inside the deck, which seems a
good idea when you are as absent-minded as I am.

I don't fprget any more.
Another good lesson. If you want to remember your wifes birthday and
remember it for the rest of your life it is simple ... Forget it once!

Same with the pull tab.

Dancer is a ww boat here but we use them surfing too.
Glad to help
Alex