H. Krueger

Default H3 255 touring ability

I am a kayaking newby and I have been offered a Pyranha 255 H3 which I am
told is in good nick. I've also been told to move fast as it is a desirable
model. I want to do flat water day touring mainly and while some people say
the H3 is a 'long' boat, others say it is only long for a WW boat.

I've got two questions really: What would seem a fair price for a 2003
model H3 and do you think one could do, say 12 miles in a 'planing hull'
without knackering oneself? One guy said to get a used 50 quid crappo
learner kayak its hull will be more suited to what I need.

hypen

H3 is WW boat, get a boat with a keel line and rudder, that is stable
and relaxing. Light weight is nice cos you'll have to carry it, at times.
Try before you buy, if not able to try don't buy.

Spend your money on good touring paddles and comfy buoyancy aid, not WW
playboat (H3).

--

''''''''''''''''''''
Flip-Flop-Nick

12 miles in a WW boat would be a challenge.. A touring boat will
typically be 16 - 18 feet long.
You will get all kinds of opinions about beam, rudders, seats,
material, paddles etc. Most of it comes down to personal prefference: A
WW boat used for touring is something most paddlers will agree is a
mistake.
I play in WW as well as the big bad ocean; different boats and
different purposes.
I would recommend you hook up with a touring or sea kayak but before
you do membership in a club may be a fine investment. Clubs often rent
or loan boats, have acces to information and the odd time special
pricing on stuff.

Good luck with it all , you have some of the worlds best paddlers to
play with in the UK.
Oh; Justine Curgenven has a video out ( This Is The Sea) that is a nice
flick if you can rent borrow or even buy it.
You are entering perhaps the greatest sport in the world that will last
a life time.
Alex