Kim

Default BCU sticker doesn't stick

I've got a Prijon touring kayak made of HTP; all surfaces have some kind of
grainy texture and the BCU sticker tends to come off after a while.

(Certain NG trolls will now probably comment 'BCU stickers that don't stick,
typical ...').

I think it may be 'the boat's fault' for once but it really isn't great
because of lockkeepers and environment agency boat checking for these things
a lot.

Short of duct taping on a laminated thingy, is there any simple way of
prepping / keying the boat surface that has done the trick for others?

David Kemper

"Kim" wrote in message
I've got a Prijon touring kayak made of HTP; all surfaces have some kind
of grainy texture and the BCU sticker tends to come off after a while.

(Certain NG trolls will now probably comment 'BCU stickers that don't
stick, typical ...').

resists temptation

I think it may be 'the boat's fault' for once but it really isn't great
because of lockkeepers and environment agency boat checking for these
things a lot.

Really? I've never had mine checked by anyone. ( when I had one, I don't
have one now.)

Short of duct taping on a laminated thingy, is there any simple way of
prepping / keying the boat surface that has done the trick for others?

Pop rivets.

David Kemper
not a fan of sticky bits

You are going to hate this.
The only way you are going to make a sticker stick to a dimply rough
surface is to flatten it. An iron is what some of my friends use to
smooth out bumps on thier rental fleets. Use the iron to smooth out the
place uyou ant the sticker to go and then slap the thing on there.
Now " Environment people and lock keepers check your boats to make sure
you are BCU members "??? What the hell is that???
Don't tell the CRCA ( Canadian BCU ) about that.
That is an interesting and disturbing concept.

Ewan Scott

"Kim" wrote in message
I've got a Prijon touring kayak made of HTP; all surfaces have some kind

of
grainy texture and the BCU sticker tends to come off after a while.

(Certain NG trolls will now probably comment 'BCU stickers that don't

stick,
typical ...').

I think it may be 'the boat's fault' for once but it really isn't great
because of lockkeepers and environment agency boat checking for these

things
a lot.

Short of duct taping on a laminated thingy, is there any simple way of
prepping / keying the boat surface that has done the trick for others?

We have Perceptions, Pyrhanas, Wavesports and Daggers, smooth and textured,
getting stickers to stick is difficult on any of them. After a few uses the
stickers usually end up floating off down the river :-)

Ewan Scott

I have a couple of glass boats, a Poly Capella , a Poly Sealution from
WS. The Sealution and Capella sport a sea kayak association sticker
given to me by John Ramwell in 1998 That yellow sticker is still on
there except by the scrapes that took sticker and some plastic. I have
Junior Forest Wardens stickers on the bow of all my boats ( Advertising
a youth group I am involved with. )They are there years now. I have 2
Polanski rec boats that nothing sticks to but I am not going to waste
time onthem because they are just not worth the work. Stickers did peal
off hem because water migrated behing the stickers on the pebbles
surgace and washed out the glue.
I have a couple of KNL Stickers that still have not found a home. I
will slap them on the Capella and see how they do. ( KNL is Kayak
Newfoundland and Labrador; our club. )
The messy old glue may in deed be the answer as long as it does not
react adversly with the sticker or the boats plastic.
Anyway , good luck.: )

Allan Bennett

In article , Kim
wrote:
I've got a Prijon touring kayak made of HTP; all surfaces have some kind of
grainy texture and the BCU sticker tends to come off after a while.

(Certain NG trolls will now probably comment 'BCU stickers that don't
stick, typical ...').

....sounds very much like a Trolling statement in itself, to me...

I think it may be 'the boat's fault' for once but it really isn't great
because of lockkeepers and environment agency boat checking for these
things a lot.

Short of duct taping on a laminated thingy, is there any simple way of
prepping / keying the boat surface that has done the trick for others?

Personally, I've had more trouble getting the damn things off than keeping
them in place cue: bishop to actress jokes.

Suggest:

1. Use a heat gun or hair-drier (whatever that is), to get said
'sticker' to conform to the boat surface.

2. (Possibly adjunct to 1) To prevent peeling around the edges, try forming
tramlines with insulation tape and running a line of Polyurethane 40 across
the edge - and removing the tape prior to setting, of course.

3. Scan the sticker, print on to material and display as a flag on a wire
coat-hanger arrangement (endears you to fellow-tourers).

4. Ditto, but print on to T-shirt (can be covered by B/Aid).

5. Laminate the thing and keep inside your boat (retains dignity and
street-cred).

6. Fix it to plastic sheet such as Darvic or similar and attach to boat using
a racing number slot (great because it can be transferred to other boats, and
you are less likely to be stopped as the panjandrums will think you are in a
competition).

7. Use the old trick of claiming the guy behind has all the licences, you are
carrying the beer...

8. Do the right thing and send it back to the 'organisation' that sold it to
you under the Sale of Goods Act on the grounds that it is not fit for the
intended purpose (and could put you in breach of the law / by-laws into the
bargain)...

Having said all of that, you know I don't much approve of announcing any
knowledge of, or association with, such a dysfunctional 'organisation' as the
BCU - nor touring boats made of such naff material.

To finish: as you now have a license to travel along the Thames, beware of
the killer weirs that the BCU has kindly forgotten to warn you about - and if
your BCU sticker has become detached in the stopper, how will they know its
you that just got killed?

Happy Paddling,

Allan Bennett
Not a fan of stick-ups

David Kemper

"Allan Bennett" wrote in message
In article , Kim
wrote:
I've got a Prijon touring kayak made of HTP; all surfaces have some kind
of
grainy texture and the BCU sticker tends to come off after a while.

(Certain NG trolls will now probably comment 'BCU stickers that don't
stick, typical ...').

...sounds very much like a Trolling statement in itself, to me...

I thought some-one was looking to provoke a reaction so I ignored it. Well
sort of anyway...

1. Use a heat gun or hair-drier (whatever that is), to get said
'sticker' to conform to the boat surface.

Ahem, what is a hair-drier? Is it the opposite of a hair-wetter?

Shirley you mean hairdryer?
Drier is a state or condition. Dryer is an object.
You knew that would get me going didn't you? Bloody trolls are everywhere.
Get on with building my new boat, you haven't got time to play games here.

David Kemper
Not a fan of baiting.

David Kemper

wrote in message
oups.com...
Now " Environment people and lock keepers check your boats to make sure
you are BCU members "??? What the hell is that???
Don't tell the CRCA ( Canadian BCU ) about that.
That is an interesting and disturbing concept.

You need to have a licence (in theory anyway) to paddle on the canals and on
some rivers in the UK. These licences are available from the various
managing bodies for each waterway. BCU members get a "free" licence to use
most of these waterways as part of the "benefits" of membership. The licence
supposedly covers one boat and is supposed to be stuck on the boat so it is
visible to anyone who wishes to see it. I have heard that the authorities
get annoyed if they catch you without a licence. I've never been asked to
show one and I don't stick one on my boat. Not that I would ever paddle
without a licence... Oh no...whistles innocently

If you have more than one boat you should buy more licences. I don't
actually know anyone who does buy extra licences, but that is how it works
in theory. Some people paddle without a licence, and don't belong to the BCU
either, which is very naughty and cannot be recommended. ;-)

When I start racing again I will be forced to rejoin the BCU, and they will
give me a nice new sticker saying I'm a member and can paddle on the canals
etc. I will keep it in my kit bag in the car so that if I get challenged, I
can produce it then. Maybe.

David Kemper
Not a fan of theories.

Kim

Thanks to all for the advice.

Only racey, laminated boats seem to have no problems in this area.

All is forgiven BCU?

KP