ChipsCheeseandMayo

Default BCU Best Practice/ Guidelines

Have just been dictated to at work that in line with BCU best practice
poicy guidelines we must ensure we are first on the water (on an
incredibly small sheltered pond)

I am intrigued to know if the BCU publish these guidelines on their
website or anything as during my training and assessment I was never
told any such thing (I was told to use my judgement )

If this is written down somewhere official it would be great to know. I
looked at all the policy documents immediately obvious on the BCU
website but couldn't find anything relevant.

Incidentally, this is the same employer that runs with a ratio of 1:11
(against BCU guidelines I understand).

Where oh where are these policy documents?

If my employer instructs me to do something against BCU guidelines who
is liable me or them?

Sorry this is kind of rambling....

Chips

Charlie

I guess it's the same as my situation at work (Council Leisure Centre).
When I wasn't happy with the volume of the pool alarm, the ratio of
lifeguards to public and the fact that I teach 10 kids when I'm only
qualified to teach 4, I put it in writing to my manager. He has to keep
that letter, so when the **** hits the fan I can prove that I wasn't happy
in the first place. This is what my supervisor told me to do.

Charlie.

"ChipsCheeseandMayo" wrote in message
ups.com...

Incidentally, this is the same employer that runs with a ratio of 1:11
(against BCU guidelines I understand).

Where oh where are these policy documents?

If my employer instructs me to do something against BCU guidelines who
is liable me or them?

Sorry this is kind of rambling....

Chips

Allan Bennett

In article . com,
ChipsCheeseandMayo wrote:
Have just been dictated to at work that in line with BCU best practice
poicy guidelines we must ensure we are first on the water (on an
incredibly small sheltered pond)

I am intrigued to know if the BCU publish these guidelines on their
website or anything as during my training and assessment I was never
told any such thing (I was told to use my judgement )

If this is written down somewhere official it would be great to know. I
looked at all the policy documents immediately obvious on the BCU
website but couldn't find anything relevant.

Incidentally, this is the same employer that runs with a ratio of 1:11
(against BCU guidelines I understand).

Where oh where are these policy documents?

If my employer instructs me to do something against BCU guidelines who
is liable me or them?

Sorry this is kind of rambling....

I doubt you will get much from the BCU (IME) - they even seem to dismiss Lyme
Bay...

Much of the so-called 'best practice' is based upon outdated practices that
very few dare to challenge, but don't stand up terribly well to scrutiny.
Normal for BCU stuff, I suppose. I don't think 'best practice' is policy,
just politico-speak for 'we don't know what's right and won't commit it to
paper, so just do what has always been done, eh?'

However, you have already committed to legal documentation (your posting)
your concerns, which you should pass on to your employer, or at least clarify
the issues you have eg not much point in suggesting you use BCU best practice
without stating what that is.

You should be aware of:

The Activity Centres (Young Persons Safety) Act 1995

Allan Bennett
Not a fan of what's on BCU paperwork

peter

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 14:06 -0700, ChipsCheeseandMayo wrote:
Have just been dictated to at work that in line with BCU best practice
poicy guidelines we must ensure we are first on the water (on an
incredibly small sheltered pond)

I wasn't aware that there was a requirement for the coach to be on the
water at all. I know a coach who regularly conducts 1 and 2 star
assessments from the bank.

Canada here. Nothing to do with the BCU.
Here when paddling ( ocean ) we try to have a guide on the water first,
another helps with spray decks and launches then he / she follows.
First on the water is a guide and last on the water is a guide. Guide
instructor I am using ad interchangable.
When I have a small group I stick them all on the water , tell them to
hanfg around the wharf, scream and blow whistles when they don't . I
follow as the last person is shoved off the beach by me.
This is for small groups; six and less.

I doubt if BCU or CRCA ( Canadian Recreational Canoe Association ) has
a standard and if they did there are always mitigating circomstances.
This I think would be a judgement thing.
Have a good one Poutine.
Alex

By the way. We kind of like the BCU here. We also appreciate what
Britain has done for sea kayaking.
We have invided Justine Curgenven to Newfoundland next week and she
will be here showing her stuff. We see Nigel Dennis and Peter Bray
regularly as well.
Chips Cheas and Mayo you are thinking. That is a great defence but I
doubt anyhting will go wrong for you. I just tought a fla****er kayak
instructor / guide to roll in a pool the other day so the UK is not
alone in issues with water safety. That said the lady was very
responsible, bright and I doubt even with her limited experience there
was ever any real safety issues with people in her care.
Unrelated but here chips, dressing , gravy, and cheese make a dish
called Poutine. Delicious buy quite a heart stopper, ( cool name. )
Alex

Ewan Scott

"peter" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 14:06 -0700, ChipsCheeseandMayo wrote:
Have just been dictated to at work that in line with BCU best practice
poicy guidelines we must ensure we are first on the water (on an
incredibly small sheltered pond)

I wasn't aware that there was a requirement for the coach to be on the
water at all. I know a coach who regularly conducts 1 and 2 star
assessments from the bank.

I don't think there is any such requirement, however, if operating solo
there may be advantages in being first on the water. If operating in tandem
with another coach then the obvious routine would be coaches first and last.

If I've got my three Star/ three Star plus I don't worry too much about who
is on first on flat water. Ona river i think I might want my more
expereinced paddlers on first. It's horses for courses.

Ewan Scott