Jayno55

Default UK Directory of suitable Kayak TOURING waters??

I wonder if anyone has ever compiled a UK directory, list, guide, map,
website or whatever for those of us who want to go Kayak day-wandering,
overnight touring, or sea exploring? If yes - please tell me where to find
this information, what to read, or who to ask or contact. If no, shall we
just start listing the best waters we know, here, or has someone a better
suggestion (for example, a dedicated website that all could contribute to,
or perhaps some kind of dedicated/organised, special "Locations"
index/forum on here?)

I am new to Kayaking and I live in Sheffield, which isn't the most optimal
location for this activity. So I want to find out where to go for suitable
waters, so I can weigh up travel distances and times, decide on overnight
issues etc., and maybe even link up with fellow kayakers in given areas. I
am starting to ask around locally, but most kayakers seem to go to, and
thus only know about, a few locations. I would like to get the most
comprehensive picture I can.

I tend to do most of my information research through book/map reading and
internet sources. Trouble is, I don't think there are any kayaker-friendly
maps, and I find most of the industry/club/course company websites just
rant on about "great White Water" locations - that's not what I am after.
What I want to find out about is good canal stretches, lazy rivers, lakes,
lochs, reservoirs, estuaries and kayak-friendly coastal locations etc.

Your info, tips or thoughts ladies and gentlemen please ...?

Peter

Jayno55 wrote:
[...]

Try http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/

Although it is biased to whitewater, it does list some easy
whitewater/touring rivers. It would seem to be the best place to collate
information on rivers in general. At the moment it's a bit sparse on
touring... maybe the group can help by adding some

At this time of year there are some lovely touring rivers with Autumnal
colours. The Wye valley is one of my favourites. 140 miles of paddleable
river - About 100 of which are good for the touring you are after.

Jayno55

Thanks for your contribution Peter. After I wrote my opening post I
realised I should mention BCU's reference to touring waters, if only so we
can get it listed here as a starter for ten:

http://www.bcu.org.uk/news/tourrecreation.html

Now come on everyone else. If you are Scottish, tell us the best lochs. If
you are anywhere near good lakes or reservoirs, give us the knowledge. If
you live near estauries, tell us where to kayak them. If you are a canal
enthusiast, state your views. If you are map freak, point the way ...

Jayno55

Here's another site for British Waterways/Canals. There's a little box
where you can enter your postcode, then it tells you your nearest canals
etc.

http://www.waterscape.com/index.html

Jayno55

Another useful website. This one for getting individual reports on
seakayaking places:

http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk/

Jayno55

This page on the KayaksandPaddles website lists some books that offer
information about e.g. the River Wye, and Welsh Rivers:

http://www.kayaksandpaddles.co.uk/ca...ooks.htm#Canoe

Jayno55

This site seems a good place to check out kayaking waters abroad:

http://www.seekayak.com/Reference_Resources/Trips/

Peter Clinch

Jayno55 wrote:

Now come on everyone else. If you are Scottish, tell us the best lochs.

Define "best"...

Beyond that rather unhelpful but sadly necessary riposte, you might have
a look at the SCA's web site to see if you can find anything via that.

http://www.scot-canoe.org/touring/index.htm

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Jayno55

Hi Pete

Thanks for the Scottish reference, which looks a pretty good information
source on the lovely Scotland to start with.

By "Best" I mean from a non-White Water, kayaker's point of view however
people would justify speaking well of somewhere. People who know their
waters will presumably describe their own criteria for "best": e.g.
available water area; attractive setting; good places for boat
access/egress; how crowded or quiet the location is; scope for water side
parking, changing, camping, stopping for drink/food etc; best section of,
end of canal, lake, loch etc; best loch to choose of choices available in
a given area - and so on!

I we get enough contributions here, I might try to organise all the info
in some systematic way (for myself and others to reference), but this
would have to be in a few months time as I am leading a busy work life for
the immediate future.

Jayno

Mike Buckley

You've already either found or been pointed to the best locations (SCA / BCU
/ Canals / UK Sea/Rivers Guidebooks) - work is already underway by the SCA
to collate material for a book on Scottish "touring" waters btw and of
course the UK Sea Guidebook already has a massive range of articles and
reports on a huge variety of touring waters both sea and inland. That said,
it's a bit light on canals - but when there are so many other options I
suppose canals won't feature that highly.

That said, now that the Forth & Clyde is open to navigation, I hear tell it
is rather nice although I have yet to bother paddling for mile after mile
after mile between two walls - perhaps it's just the luck of having mile
after mile of decent sea-paddling within reasonable reach. . . . . . . .

If you want specific ideas for Scottish inland lochs then I'd recommend Loch
Ken in Dumfries & Galloway, Loch Lomond, Loch Awe, Loch Tay, Loch Earn, Loch
Ness - any Loch in fact except the limited few where there are fishing
"issues" (at the moment!) and the few reservoirs where someone from the
water board will take issue with you being there. Notably Loch Katrine. As
all these have some form of habitation at one or both ends and quite often
along their sides, there is an abundance of suitable opportunities for
refreshment!

The River Tay is a good touring river, with a few white-water spots of
course, as are the other well known Scottish rivers such as the Spean, Nith,
etc etc.

Try posting your request on the Forum of the Guidebook - it's a busy place
so you may get more replies. Your trip reports will be most welcome on the
Guidebook - or
will get them to the relevant editor!

Best of luck with the idea - Mike.

lkaboutboats.com...