Jayno55

Default UK Directory of suitable Kayak TOURING waters??

I wonder if anyone has ever compiled a UK directory, list, guide, map,
website or whatever for those of us who want to go Kayak day-wandering,
overnight touring, or sea exploring? If yes - please tell me where to find
this information, what to read, or who to ask or contact. If no, shall we
just start listing the best waters we know, here, or has someone a better
suggestion (for example, a dedicated website that all could contribute to,
or perhaps some kind of dedicated/organised, special "Locations"
index/forum on here?)

I am new to Kayaking and I live in Sheffield, which isn't the most optimal
location for this activity. So I want to find out where to go for suitable
waters, so I can weigh up travel distances and times, decide on overnight
issues etc., and maybe even link up with fellow kayakers in given areas. I
am starting to ask around locally, but most kayakers seem to go to, and
thus only know about, a few locations. I would like to get the most
comprehensive picture I can.

I tend to do most of my information research through book/map reading and
internet sources. Trouble is, I don't think there are any kayaker-friendly
maps, and I find most of the industry/club/course company websites just
rant on about "great White Water" locations - that's not what I am after.
What I want to find out about is good canal stretches, lazy rivers, lakes,
lochs, reservoirs, estuaries and kayak-friendly coastal locations etc.

Your info, tips or thoughts ladies and gentlemen please ...?