Kev Coomber

Default Which boat?

Hi

I'm in the market for a canoe and have my eye on an old town discovery. I have also seen a number of ads fole Colemans which appear to be a fair bit cheaper.

How do these compare?

I would be using it for family day trips, camping trips, and a bit of fishing. All of this on the rivers and lakes of Norfolk.

I'm new to this so any advise gratefully received.
Jasmine Waters

Hi Kev,

A fellow Norfolk paddler! I'm in Norfolk & do a fair bit of canoeing!

So, what you need to do first is decide what you're gonna use it for -
you seem to be settled on touring on flat water (rivers & Nfk broads),
camping & fishing for the family. Are you likely to be paddling it solo
at all? I'm assuming not (basically if you're paddling solo you'd aim
for a lighter & shorter boat, but that doesn't sound what you're after).

For family paddling & fishing, you'd want a fairly stable boat & for
flat water touring you'll want it to have reasonable tracking (a hull
shape that prefers to go in a straight line but is usually more
difficult to perform sharp turns). For family camping you need to look
at a larger/longer boat.

You also want to consider the weight of the boat. Are you gonna have
help getting this on & off the car or is it gonna have to be a one man job?

The Discovery's are very good boats for the sort of purpose you
describe, but be careful as they come in different lengths 148 (14'8"),
158 (15'8"), 164 (you get the idea), 174 and a few other lengths. How
big is the family? If it's 2 adults & 1 child (average adults &
smallish child) I would probably recomend the 158 - 164, for more
weight, go longer, but don't try to paddle the 174 on your own - it's a
bit of a beast!!! They're very roughty toughty boats (many clubs buy
them for that very reason) - stand a lot of abuse! They're pretty
stable & are reasonably priced. However I think the seats are about the
most uncomfortable of any canoe but if you find them unbearable they're
not difficult to change!

The Colemans are pretty much shunned by many of those who consider
themselves to do 'real paddling'!!! ;-) However, they do perform a very
good service, many people who want just what you're after buy colemans &
they serve them very well. They have a keel line (ridge down centre of
boat on hull) which aids their tracking so they tend to be reasonably
good 'straight line' boats. However they are very heavy & cumbersome.
They're even more robust, stand endless abuse than discoverys. They're
very heavy (think of getting it on/off the car!).

I would probably say Discovery would be the better boat for you, but it
depends on your finances, if you'd rather keep an eye on the pennys
don't write off Colemans.

There are MANY different boats on the market. Did you get the discovery
idea from Norfolk Marine, Hoveton/Wroxham? They have very limited other
choice. Are you a member of a local club where you can try out some
boats? If not I'd really recommend that, if you want some contacts etc
let me know. I'd above all recomend that you all paddle the boat before
you buy!

Don't know if you're looking at new or 2nd hand boats, but there are 2nd
hand ones out there, they've got a few scratches but so will any new
boat have after very few outings. Once again if you want more info
where to look let me know & I'll point you in the right direction.

All the best of luck with your hunts, fun with your paddling & if you
want any more ramblings on boats, kit or where to paddle locally, feel
free to drop me a line & I'll try to help if I can.

Maybe see you out on the water!
Jasmine

Kev Coomber wrote:

Hi

I'm in the market for a canoe and have my eye on an old town discovery. I have also seen a number of ads fole Colemans which appear to be a fair bit cheaper.

How do these compare?

I would be using it for family day trips, camping trips, and a bit of fishing. All of this on the rivers and lakes of Norfolk.

I'm new to this so any advise gratefully received.

Julia deSilva

We went through this exact line of questions earlier in the spring, and
ended up with an Old Town Allagash 16'4".

We have 2 children, aged 4 and 9, and have been out several times since
purchase. It's great, wider than some, but plenty of room for all of us with
dollies, toys, spare clothing, food etc etc . I think we''ll put in some
extra seats in time. We though about a Coleman, but their reputation could
mean that resale value is poor, and the Keelson can be a pain in the neck.
Get a few lessons at your local canoe club, so you can get in and out
without getting wet, and paddle in a straightish line, and just incase you
have an "incident".....

Cheers

Hi

I'm in the market for a canoe and have my eye on an old town discovery. I

have also seen a number of ads fole Colemans which appear to be a fair bit
cheaper.

How do these compare?

I would be using it for family day trips, camping trips, and a bit of

fishing. All of this on the rivers and lakes of Norfolk.

I'm new to this so any advise gratefully received.

VK1NF

The Old Town should be a nice paddler - I'm not personally familiar with the
Discovery, but have paddled in company with various Old Towns whose owners
seemed quite pleased with their boats.
There are actually several Coleman canoes - a 15', and a 17', as well as
several smaller models. I have paddled a 17' Ram-X several times, and didn't
much like it at all. I found it very heavy to carry, and very slow, as the
plastic hull tends to flex and lose water flow over the hull. The high
topsides catch a lot of wind, making it a difficult boat to control in any
sort of crosswind. They are, however, very tough hulls, and have excellent
carrying capacity. A lot of Coleman 17s here are used for rougher jobs -
carrying out quarters of moose after a successful hunt, heavy -duty camping,
wilderness surveying and prospecting, and so forth. The 15' Coleman seems to
be a much nicer hull - again, I can't speak from personal experience, but
have been on paddles where a 15' had no problems keeping up with the pack.
Main thing, for me, is to get a boat and get out on the water - if you
find a few years down the road that you want another sort of canoe, you can
always sell the original and get something more suited to your needs.
rhayes (at) nfld(dot)com to relpy

"Kev Coomber" wrote in message
Hi

I'm in the market for a canoe and have my eye on an old town discovery. I

have also seen a number of ads fole Colemans which appear to be a fair bit
cheaper.

How do these compare?

I would be using it for family day trips, camping trips, and a bit of

fishing. All of this on the rivers and lakes of Norfolk.

I'm new to this so any advise gratefully received.

---

Alex McGruer

"Julia deSilva" wrote in message ...
[...]

You asked how Coleman and oldtown Compare. They don't.
I have owned Fibre Glass canoes, Wood Canvas, I have built a stripper
and have purchased about 20 canoes for variouse organizations.
Oldtown is a fine boat, Heavy but a great boat. I own one, we got it
when the kids came along.
Grumman is good too but it is dirty, cold, noisy and sticks to rocks.
The Grummans need no attention though.
I like Oldtown. Coleman is slow, paddles fairly poorly and , well it
is what it is. It you paddle twice a year it is fine.
Go Oldtown, used if you can get one ; but OLdtown will serve you
well.

Kev Coomber

Hi Jasmine,

I'm fairly new to paddling but I've been out a few times and hadd some practice with kayaks in a pool during the winter. I'm going along to sessions throughout the summer hopefully with a canoe ) I'm off to Canada for a week canoing so hopefully I'll get better from that.

I have a friend wit an old town and another with a coleman. Both reckon theirs is best hence the question here. Of the two I preferred the old town but had to ask as the coleman is cheaper. I'll start looking for a secondhand one as I don't think she who must be obeyed will let me spend out on a new one.

It looks as if I could do with two boats ) I'll probably end up on my own on occassions.

Thanks for the advise

Cheers

Kev

Kev Coomber

Thanks all for the advise. Looks like the coleman is out of the equation.

Cheers
Kev

Kev Coomber wrote:

Hi

I'm in the market for a canoe and have my eye on an old town discovery. I
have also seen a number of ads fole Colemans which appear to be a fair bit
cheaper.

How do these compare?

I would be using it for family day trips, camping trips, and a bit of
fishing. All of this on the rivers and lakes of Norfolk.

I'm new to this so any advise gratefully received.

Hi,

just bought a canoe after one year of research. In the last years we got to
paddle OldTowns and Colemans, since these can be rented at most places in
Germany. Anyhow, we came to the conclusion, that neither Coleman nor OldTown
are worth the money. Wy is this so?
If you have a canoe, that is not fun to paddle and moreover is heavy outside
the water, you won't go paddling as many times as you would if you have a
decent canoe. I think 900$ is a lot of money, if you only paddle a few
times.
Thus we started testing Madriver, Wenonha and Bell canoes and ended up with
a Bell Northwind RX. The Madriver Canoes are great, but hard to get in
Germany. The Wenonah either turns or goes straight, these canoes are very
special (in all sences). Paddling the Northwind from Bell, we knew minutes
after we started, that we found, what we were looking for. It is only 27 Kg
but still tough. It is fast and still turns well. Luckily I got to know the
European Bell Dealer personally so it came "only" 1500€. Lot's of money, but
the fun compensates for that
So I would reccomend paddling good canoes (for example a Prospector in
woodcanvas) in order to get to know the differences.

so long

Hannes