Alex McGruer

Default Which boat?

"Julia deSilva" wrote in message ...
We went through this exact line of questions earlier in the spring, and
ended up with an Old Town Allagash 16'4".

We have 2 children, aged 4 and 9, and have been out several times since
purchase. It's great, wider than some, but plenty of room for all of us with
dollies, toys, spare clothing, food etc etc . I think we''ll put in some
extra seats in time. We though about a Coleman, but their reputation could
mean that resale value is poor, and the Keelson can be a pain in the neck.
Get a few lessons at your local canoe club, so you can get in and out
without getting wet, and paddle in a straightish line, and just incase you
have an "incident".....

Cheers

Hi

I'm in the market for a canoe and have my eye on an old town discovery. I

have also seen a number of ads fole Colemans which appear to be a fair bit
cheaper.

How do these compare?

I would be using it for family day trips, camping trips, and a bit of

fishing. All of this on the rivers and lakes of Norfolk.

I'm new to this so any advise gratefully received.

You asked how Coleman and oldtown Compare. They don't.
I have owned Fibre Glass canoes, Wood Canvas, I have built a stripper
and have purchased about 20 canoes for variouse organizations.
Oldtown is a fine boat, Heavy but a great boat. I own one, we got it
when the kids came along.
Grumman is good too but it is dirty, cold, noisy and sticks to rocks.
The Grummans need no attention though.
I like Oldtown. Coleman is slow, paddles fairly poorly and , well it
is what it is. It you paddle twice a year it is fine.
Go Oldtown, used if you can get one ; but OLdtown will serve you
well.