Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Lou

Default Kneeling thwart height

Hi

I want to fit a kneeling thwart just aft of centre in my Wenonah Adirondack
kevlar tandem canoe, for soloing.

I realise we'll never be talking perfection here as the boat is failry wide
in the center section. However I don't enjoy soloing the canoe 'backwards'
from the bow seat so much as I don't want to rely on carrying ballast.

I'd ordered the boat with a center seat, which rests on two non adjustable
aluminium angle brackets suspended from the aluminium gunwhales and riveted
in place. Although I jacked the seat up and angled it with wedges, it was
never far back enough in the boat for my liking.

My carpentry skills are somewhat limited and as the boat has slight
tumblehome, the higher I fit the kneeling thwart the more I'll have to shave
off the sides as it gets narrower.

So, in order to minimise the 'chopping and changing', what is a reasonable
starting height for fitting a kneeling thwart, measured from the bottom of
the boat? (The Adi has a fairly flat bottom and hasn't yet oil canned.) I
am 182 cm / 5'11" tall.

Any advice much appreciated.

Lou

height and placement of red and green side lights Scott Downey Boat Building 0 May 26th 04 04:33 AM
canoe kneeling pads Graham General 3 March 28th 04 01:58 PM
Kneeling thwart height Lou General 6 January 6th 04 03:13 PM
Long Island Sound wave height question Chris General 7 September 1st 03 03:48 PM
Transom Height - Dumb Question Alert Michael Gagliardi General 0 August 28th 03 07:31 PM