James H. Williams PE

Default Kneeling thwart height

Insted of a thwart, try a saddle in centerline of canoe, you should be able
to move it back and forth to trim. The saddle can be made of a simple T
wood foam with high density foam padding.
"Lou" wrote in message
Hi

I want to fit a kneeling thwart just aft of centre in my Wenonah

Adirondack
kevlar tandem canoe, for soloing.

I realise we'll never be talking perfection here as the boat is failry

wide
in the center section. However I don't enjoy soloing the canoe

'backwards'
from the bow seat so much as I don't want to rely on carrying ballast.

I'd ordered the boat with a center seat, which rests on two non adjustable
aluminium angle brackets suspended from the aluminium gunwhales and

riveted
in place. Although I jacked the seat up and angled it with wedges, it was
never far back enough in the boat for my liking.

My carpentry skills are somewhat limited and as the boat has slight
tumblehome, the higher I fit the kneeling thwart the more I'll have to

shave
off the sides as it gets narrower.

So, in order to minimise the 'chopping and changing', what is a reasonable
starting height for fitting a kneeling thwart, measured from the bottom of
the boat? (The Adi has a fairly flat bottom and hasn't yet oil canned.)

am 182 cm / 5'11" tall.

Any advice much appreciated.

Lou