Peter Clinch

Default Blade Size

Allan Bennett wrote:

Having said all that, it is odd that most paddlers accept the 'one size fits
all' approach to blade size.

Not *that* odd... I was looking around for my own paddle to go with my
own boat rather than the club ones. I'd got on okay with them (just
about all Nordkapps) and the great majority of the club members used
them, and Lendal market it as their benchmark sea touring blade. So if
I got Nordkapps I could be pretty sure that though they wouldn't
necessarily be the absolute best thing, they *would* do what I wanted
and needed. Luckily the Paddlok setup meant I could buy a nice shaft
and try out different (relatively) cheap blades to choose a shape with
slightly more experience of different shapes. But only slightly more,
there's still dozens of possibilities I haven't been able to try.

And I still don't know for sure I've got the perfect paddle for me:
there are just too many to try everything. Choice is bad as well as good!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Peter Clinch

Allan Bennett wrote:

Too much Tolkien, methinks ;-)

And where can I get one of those Elven Canoe Paddles like they used in
the Fellowship of the Ring? Enable you to traverse major water systems
the way you want to go by waving them ineffectually in the direction of
the water every now and then, which has to be easier than all that
so-called technique stuff... ;-)

Pete.

--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Allan Bennett

In article , Peter Clinch
URL:mailto
Allan Bennett wrote:

Too much Tolkien, methinks ;-)

And where can I get one of those Elven Canoe Paddles like they used in
the Fellowship of the Ring? Enable you to traverse major water systems
the way you want to go by waving them ineffectually in the direction of
the water every now and then, which has to be easier than all that
so-called technique stuff... ;-)

Paddles available from the same outlet as you acquired your mithril cag. The
other magical element is employing hydrodynamic lift in the so-called
technique stuff.

That will to most, however, remain one of thegreat mysteries of Middle Earth
and beyond...

Allan Bennett
Not a fan of fairies

YSx8 propeller size Marco General 0 April 21st 04 06:00 PM
Help with mast, sails, O/B size Geoff P Boat Building 3 April 16th 04 07:38 PM
Sensiable Coke can Size, at last Steve Cruising 0 February 17th 04 07:40 PM
Searay Prop Size Joseph Friess Cruising 2 August 12th 03 01:09 AM