posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Default Advice wanted for tripping canoe

Hello. I recently received the following inquiry about choosing a canoe
for mixed purposes. The person has previous canoe experience, but not
with river canoes.

I steered him away from the Coleman. Since I am not a familiar with the
Old Town guide, I would appreciate any advice on that and other suitable
models. The target location is Colorado area class I and II touring
rivers. Please reply to newsgroup only. Thank you for your help.

--Dave A.
Rocky Mountain Canoe Club
http://www.rockymountaincanoeclub.org/

Someone wrote on 2007-aug-07:

... To refresh your memory I'm primarily looking for
a solo tripper canoe that I could take on over night
trips and the kind of trip you lead, but also be big
enough that my wife could get in it with me for
playing on the lakes.

(Old Town Guide
http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/390254417.html

(Coleman Ram-X
http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/376676517.html

Is something like this suitable

I assume I want a Rolyex or equivalent (Coleman ram X)
plastic material as opposed to fiberglass?

Any ideas are appreciated. I want to have a new boat
for your labor day trip.