posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Marek Uliasz

Default How to photograph rivers?

Every year I spent a lot time paddling South Platte River. In winter it is
often the only open water in northern Colorado. South Platte below Denver is
a farmland river and is not exactly scenic. You can see numerous diversion
dams and banks protected in many places with every imaginable materials and
junk. I like to paddle South Paddle when everything is covered by snow but
it does not happen frequently here.

Of course, I am taking photographs of the South Platte or at least I am
always carrying one of my cameras. I can often shoot some nice "scenic"
pictures around the water. The sky can be interesting. Sunset always
happens. The dams can pretend to be whitewater and rapids. There is a lot of
wildlife. Beavers are working hard.

However, I wonder how should I photograph and present the river on-line: to
focus on scenic aspects or show more documentary shots?

During my last paddling of the last year on December 30th, I stopped for a
longer while at the Patterson Ditch Dam (the first dam downstream of Evans)
and had a photo session with old cars used to protect river banks. Old cars
appear in numerous places along the South Platte. What do you think about my
junk car portfolio? I wouldn't like to discourage anybody from paddling the
South Platte.

http://users.frii.com/uliasz/weblog/...541/index.html

Marek

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Brian Nystrom

Marek Uliasz wrote:
[...]

While the cars can be somewhat interesting in and of themselves, to me
they really intrude into photos of the river and it's environment.
Frankly, I'd find it depressing to paddle a river strewn with cars on
the banks, regardless of their function. They're no different than any
other form of trash, in that regard. The dams, OTOH, seem much less
intrusive since they're covered with flowing water that masks their
artificial nature to a degree.

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Richard Ferguson

My take is to go easy on the photos of junked cars, and focus on the
wildlife. You might need to show an occasional photo that includes junk
cars, just to be somewhat honest in showing the river, but perhaps even
those photos should be focused on the wildlife. There are enough junk
cars and concrete on the banks that you probably cannot completely
ignore them and pretend that they don't exist.

Richard

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com
Sculptures in copper and other metals

rivers closed! Bill McKee General 1 January 2nd 06 08:24 PM
UK Rivers Guidebook MatSav UK Paddle 3 December 22nd 05 01:49 PM
Paddling in Mexico? Richard Ferguson Touring 5 November 19th 05 09:39 AM
Anyone paddling the flooded NE rivers? riverman General 2 October 18th 05 09:52 PM