posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Marek Uliasz

Default How to photograph rivers?

Every year I spent a lot time paddling South Platte River. In winter it is
often the only open water in northern Colorado. South Platte below Denver is
a farmland river and is not exactly scenic. You can see numerous diversion
dams and banks protected in many places with every imaginable materials and
junk. I like to paddle South Paddle when everything is covered by snow but
it does not happen frequently here.

Of course, I am taking photographs of the South Platte or at least I am
always carrying one of my cameras. I can often shoot some nice "scenic"
pictures around the water. The sky can be interesting. Sunset always
happens. The dams can pretend to be whitewater and rapids. There is a lot of
wildlife. Beavers are working hard.

However, I wonder how should I photograph and present the river on-line: to
focus on scenic aspects or show more documentary shots?

During my last paddling of the last year on December 30th, I stopped for a
longer while at the Patterson Ditch Dam (the first dam downstream of Evans)
and had a photo session with old cars used to protect river banks. Old cars
appear in numerous places along the South Platte. What do you think about my
junk car portfolio? I wouldn't like to discourage anybody from paddling the
South Platte.

http://users.frii.com/uliasz/weblog/...541/index.html

Marek