Default Just returned from the Yukon River...

40 years ago when I was a kid I made a list of lots of outdoor related
adventures I wanted to do. While most of my stuff has been climbing or
hiking related, I put on that list many years ago "kayak the Yukon
River". So last year I got a boat and spent as much time on the water
as possible. I certainly don't consider myself a paddler in the league
of most of you, but I got prepared enough to feel comfortable doing
this trip. I did all the planning and a friend and I just got back
last week from paddling the Yukon from Whitehrose to Dawson - about 450
miles. It was a wonderful 10 days on the water with lots of wildlife,
lots of weather, cold mornings, mosquitos, bears - it was great!
Everything I had hoped for. Other than a 30 mile long lake which had
huge whitecaps with wind and rain in our face, the paddling was pretty
mellow. There is a nice current that allowed us to average 45 miles
per day. Just loads of fun, great camping, fires every night. While
next summer's trip is riding a mountain bike from Anchorage to
Deadhorse (the northern tip), Alaska, I am already planning to do
another river in the north. I can't believe I waited all these years
to discover such a wonder way to spend time outdoors. I'm hooked!

rick

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Welcome to the dark side....