Zalek Bloom

Default From Bay Shore to Ocean Beach (NY, Long Island)

I sent my family to the Ocean Beach on a ferry, but I took my kayak
(Folbot, Kodiak) to cross about 8 static miles.
I launch my kayak from a pier near a ferry terminal. Not a very good place
- the drop is about 4 feet from the pier to the water, but below the
pier there is a small step on the water level - it helps to take a sit in
the kayak. Took me about 2 1/2 hours to cross the bay. Water was very
choppy and a lot of traffic - from small boats to big ferryies.
Navigation was very easy - there is a big water tank in the Ocean Beach
visible from the Bay Shore.

Zalek
Carla A-G

"Zalek Bloom" wrote in message
news
I sent my family to the Ocean Beach on a ferry, but I took my kayak
(Folbot, Kodiak) to cross about 8 static miles.
I launch my kayak from a pier near a ferry terminal. Not a very good place
- the drop is about 4 feet from the pier to the water, but below the
pier there is a small step on the water level - it helps to take a sit in
the kayak. Took me about 2 1/2 hours to cross the bay. Water was very
choppy and a lot of traffic - from small boats to big ferryies.
Navigation was very easy - there is a big water tank in the Ocean Beach
visible from the Bay Shore.

Zalek

We attempted to launch from there once but it looked to crazy to try so we
skipped it. Are you from LI? Where do you usually paddle?

C.

Zalek Bloom

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 11:27:53 -0400, Carla A-G wrote:

"Zalek Bloom" wrote in message
news
I sent my family to the Ocean Beach on a ferry, but I took my kayak
(Folbot, Kodiak) to cross about 8 static miles.
I launch my kayak from a pier near a ferry terminal. Not a very good place
- the drop is about 4 feet from the pier to the water, but below the
pier there is a small step on the water level - it helps to take a sit in
the kayak. Took me about 2 1/2 hours to cross the bay. Water was very
choppy and a lot of traffic - from small boats to big ferryies.
Navigation was very easy - there is a big water tank in the Ocean Beach
visible from the Bay Shore.

Zalek

We attempted to launch from there once but it looked to crazy to try so we
skipped it. Are you from LI? Where do you usually paddle?

C.

No, I am from NYC. Usually I paddle in Jamaica Bay or Orchard Beach.
Sometimes when I am taking my kids to a different parks I am looking for a
paddling place. For example I found a state park in Indian Island (after
exit 72 on LIE, after Splish Splash where you can lounch a kayak. Also in
NJ near 6 flags, east on route 195 (near Belmore) there in a large inlet
where you kayaking.
In the Bay Shore launching is very easy from the pier - there is a step
below the pier so you can step on in. I dropped the kayak attached to a
line from the pier, then I stepped down on this step (on the water level)
and sit into the kayak.

Zalek

Americans Sailors First to the Resue+ John Deere ASA 3 January 4th 05 08:36 PM
Boating story Gould 0738 General 13 November 7th 04 05:21 PM
Update on Marina Damage -- FL Coasts anchorlt Cruising 0 September 24th 04 08:03 PM
Sailing to Sag Harbor (NY- Long Island) Rob General 2 August 20th 04 06:05 PM
Long Island Sound wave height question Chris General 7 September 1st 03 03:48 PM