John Kuthe

pmhilton wrote:

John Kuthe wrote:

What about laziness or disability? Or extremely long distances, and a
combination of either of the aforementioned?

In that case, a 13' canoe would be a travesty rather than a help.

Hey, if it's what the poster wants, who are we to deny him or her, yano?
Advise him or her that a non-motored canoe may be better, but ya can't
dissuade some people from what they want! (I know, I work in an outdoor
sports shop, sometimes.)

John Kuthe...

John Weiss

"John Kuthe" wrote...

What about laziness or disability? Or extremely long distances, and a
combination of either of the aforementioned?

OP said use was to go from houseboat to beach. Doesn't sound like a long
distance involved...

In case of disability, a canoe should definitely NOT be considered before a more
stable dinghy, regardless of whether it will be rowed/paddled or powered.

Laziness? Could be, but IMO this NG is not here to promote it.

dh@.

On Sun, 22 May 2005 09:20:10 -0700, "John Weiss" wrote:

"John Kuthe" wrote...

What about laziness or disability? Or extremely long distances, and a
combination of either of the aforementioned?

OP said use was to go from houseboat to beach. Doesn't sound like a long
distance involved...

Not from the houseboat to the beach. That's what's good about a
houseboat...you can beach them but you can't beach cruisers. I don't
get mine on the beach, though they "say" it won't hurt an aluminum
hull. I keep mine off with a gang plank, but that's another whole thing.

I take the houseboat out to the islands, sometimes several miles
away. I take the runabout to get back and forth to the marina, the
dock, my car... I want a spare ride for when the runabout is down for
some reason. My dad used to hang an outboard motor on the side
of a canoe. We knew how to paddle it, but the motor was a lot faster.
So I figure a canoe would be good because I could build a frame and
always store it on the houseboat, with the motor. And I could paddle
it a lot easier than the runabout--which pretty much sux to paddle--if I
had to. I also have a couple of kayaks which are a whole lot easier
than a canoe if it comes to that, but I couldn't haul anything much
back and forth in a kayak, and don't want to be relying on having to
paddle one several miles each way. The canoe/outboard seemed
like the best idea to me, and I thought maybe some of you folks would
have some experience with it. Here's a pic:

http://gilgilpatrick.com/images/canoe-motor.gif

In case of disability, a canoe should definitely NOT be considered before a more
stable dinghy, regardless of whether it will be rowed/paddled or powered.

Laziness? Could be, but IMO this NG is not here to promote it.

JeffH

Check the want ads of the paper of your nearest large local city,
Atlanta perhaps. They usually have a "boat" listing and people are
always selling their stuff privately.

Or go to a "big box" store like Dunhams, or REI or Dicks Sports. They
usually have good, basic canoes for really low prices. Won't be
anything fancy, but sounds like it would meet your needs specificly.

Cyli

On Sat, 21 May 2005 12:43:05 -0400, dh@. wrote:

(snipped)

What size
motor for about a 13' canoe?

Small. Very small. An electric at about 40 some whatever the
measurement (foot pounds per rev or some such) is or a 2 or 3 hp gas
motor. I'd advise gas. Get a 4 stroke, if possible. Less noisy and
less polluting, though more expensive.

I'm not sure I'd even want a motor on a canoe that small. I have used
an electric 40 something on a 16 and a 17 foot canoe and it's about
right. 13 footer will be nimble. You'll have to go carefully with a
motor on it. And balance the weight well.

What about using an electric
motor, if that's a reasonable consideration?

You'll have to maintain the battery. But if you're only going a few
miles, should be no problem. They're delightfully quiet.

You said islands? Out in the sea or on one of the Great Lakes? Big
waves are possible out there. Dinghies take big waves better than
canoes do. And you can row them if you run out of gas or the battery
goes dead at least as easily as you can paddle a canoe. Rowing always
seems to me to give more efficiency than paddling. And a 10 or 12
foot dingy would probably carry more cargo than a 13 foot canoe. Of
course canoes are cooler than dinghies...

Used canoes should be popping up all over the place now that it's
spring. Mostly 17 foot aluminum or Coleman plastic ones, though.
Keep an eye on the want ads and look at what eBay has to offer in your
area. But be advised that there are comparatively few 13 footers
built and bought, so the used market in them will be scanty. You may
have to buy new if that's the size you want.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: lid (strip the .invalid to email)

Cyli

On Sat, 21 May 2005 22:41:17 -0500, "Franklin"
wrote:

(snipped)

You can also buy manufactured
motor mounts for this purpose.

You don't even need that. A piece of wood on the inside of the canoe
to make the motor screw on tightly works fine. I've also done it
without anything, but it's hard to tighten it up enough. I think the
piece I used was about 10 inches long by 4 or 5 wide and maybe 1/2 to
3/4 inch thick. Unless the canoe is an easily deformed plastic one,
it's no sweat. Even then, no problem as it's above the waterline,
except for the looks of it.

dh@.

On Mon, 23 May 2005 04:22:36 -0500, Cyli wrote:

[...]

It's just an inland lake. At first I really wanted to be on a large
body of water like an ocean, but have since come to appreciate
how much less expensive it is for fuel and to maintain a boat on
a lake like this (Lake Lanier, GA) than it would be in a different
environment.

Big
waves are possible out there. Dinghies take big waves better than
canoes do. And you can row them if you run out of gas or the battery
goes dead at least as easily as you can paddle a canoe. Rowing always
seems to me to give more efficiency than paddling. And a 10 or 12
foot dingy would probably carry more cargo than a 13 foot canoe. Of
course canoes are cooler than dinghies...

Well maybe, but I'm not really worried about that aspect of it. What
I like about a canoe is that it would be easy to store and always have
on hand on a houseboat, and it would be easy to carry on my car if
I want to take it someplace else.

Used canoes should be popping up all over the place now that it's
spring. Mostly 17 foot aluminum or Coleman plastic ones, though.
Keep an eye on the want ads and look at what eBay has to offer in your
area. But be advised that there are comparatively few 13 footers
built and bought, so the used market in them will be scanty. You may
have to buy new if that's the size you want.

My houseboat is about 13' wide, which is where I came up with the
13' idea. I want to build a frame to put the spare boat on above the back
deck, and don't want it to hang over too much on either side. It probably
doesn't really matter much if it does though, so I may end up getting a
longer canoe if they're that much easier to find.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: lid (strip the .invalid to email)

Bernie Swanson

I agree a 13' canoe is short and you have to be careful in turning it too
quickly. I have a 17 foot aluminum canoe that I paddle solo with a kayak
paddle. Many times when I go solo, I rig up a battery and a very small
trolling motor. Used it cost me $35. It has 5 speeds and I usually paddle
with it on 1 or 2 and make good speed, equal to 2 experienced paddlers.
When I crank it up to 4 or 5, I put the paddle down and hang on. The boat
scoots along leaving a wake and the bow pretty high. I need longer cables
to move the battery forward. I go all day on one charge. You can go
several miles and return, no problem. I use this rig for wildlife
photography. The motor allows me to hold positon in wind or current and
helps hold the bow in the direction I want.
I made my own mount out of wood and use a couple of c-clamps to hold it till
I buy wing nuts and bolts. Forget gas if you can. If you do this, increase
speed gradually and SLOW DOWN befor any quick turns or you will be going for
a swim.

dh@. wrote in message ...
[...]

posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring

Default canoe with outboard questions

Powering a canoe with an outboard engine is perfectly alright. It has been
done for decades in some pretty tough environments. As a boy I remember a
number of Maine guides running fully loaded 17' canoes up local rivers using
an outboard for power.

Right now it seems that the best engine available on the market is the
Mercury 2.5 or 3.5 horsepower. You'd need to buy an extra long shaft model
and fit it with a shallow pitch propeller for power.

Here is a link for Mercury:

http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines...ginesetfour_sp
ecs.php?ID=66

Honda also touts their 2 and 5 hp motors as being suitable for canoes. I
would look at those as well:
http://www.honda-marine.com/modeldet...modelGroup=bf2

There are several 12' - 13' square stern canoes available today. The problem
with a short canoe is that it is typically pretty wide, in the 38" - 42"
range. This could create a space issue on your houseboat. Judging from your
comments, if I were you, I'd consider towing the canoe with a snug fitting
marine cover on it.

Here is a link for some canoes: http://www.directboats.com/sqstca.html

I hope this is of some help to you.

Whit