Tinkerntom

BCITORGB wrote:
Tink, I'm pleased to report the contraption is "together" and it

bears
my signatu "workmanship like crap". However, I think, with a few
modifications, it'll work just fine.

For example, the U-bolts to attach to the existing factory r-rack:

well
they worked in theory (story of my life), but when I got it up on the
roof it looked like Plan B, with slightly different sized U-bolts,
would have to be activated.

I've got two 7.5' longitudinal 2x4's with two 2x6 cross pieces (with
hull curvature cut into them) plus one 2x3 (hey, that's what I had
lying around the back 40) cross piece right at the front of the
contraption.

I'm quite pleased with my cut-out bits as there's nary a sliver of
light (OK, OK, a sliver or two) between the hull and the 2x6 cross
pieces. Once I glue some foam to that, I think it'll be awesome.

The middle cross piece is directly under the middle bulwark and the

aft
cross piece is about 2" from the aft bulwark (given the configuration
of the factory r-rack, that's the best I could do).

The forward cross piece (2x3) is about 2.5' in front of the mid one,
and provides some nice extra support so that I don't have the feeling
that the front will be flopping about (there'll still be about 6' out
front of that which is unsupported).

Once I got it together, I was pleased to note that it really wasn't
that heavy and could easily be popped on to the roof.

A few things to do yet: gotta get some brackets to lend stability to
the frame, glue on the foam, drill some holes for ropes.... finito!

Although I have a feeling that there'll be no end to this.

Wilf

One of my favorite quotes,

"I love it when a plan comes together!" -Hannibal Hayes of the A-Team.

Sounds pretty good, you spent a little time, a little money, used some
old wood 2x's that were lying around, drilled a little, probably
expleted a little, and you feel better about life in general. Now you
are almost ready to go kayaking in style. Well maybe not in style, but
we won't tell anyone else! TnT

No Spam

"Cyli" wrote in message
On 31 Mar 2005 09:38:52 -0800, "
wrote:

I've been waiting patiently to read about paddling and touring trips.
Really tired of this other subject that keeps popping up.
Let's hear about water sports...
I'm a canoest, and seakayaker...and want to read and talk about
that...isn't that why we signed up here? If not let me know, and I'll
unsubscribe and move on...

Let's give it a go..eh?

Shall I say, "You first." or "Bub bye now." ?

Instead of whining and threatening to deprive us of your, possibly
otherwise nice, company, why don't you tell us what and where you
paddle and what's good or bad about it?

All I paddle are a canoe (rental the last couple of years since I gave
away my stipper) and a recreational Old Town Otter kayak and (when I
lose 5 more pounds?) an old Perception Dancer that I use like a
recreational kayak.

I do them on lakes and the St. Croix River in MN/WI. Like them all,
Lke the places except that too many other people in canoes like the
'Croix on warm weekends. But the backwaters remove most of the
aluminum hatch from sight and sound.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: lid (strip the .invalid to email)

Nice to know there are others out there with a Dancer that is a little snug.
It takes everything that boat has to keep me afloat. I have removed the
plastic bit under the front combing edge and that gets me into the thing. I
was somewhat worried that I would not come out in a wet exit but when the
time came, it came off like a good pair of pants. I love the looks I get
when I show up with it. I'm 6' 1'' and about 275-285 depending on what I had
for breakfast ; and most people where I go have huge canoes and are shocked
that I am actually going to go out in my "little" boat.

Ken

Michael Daly

On 1-Apr-2005, "Tinkerntom" wrote:

Wilf, therein lies the problem, this NG is for paddle craft.

Actually, sailing paddlecraft is well within this newsgroup's
domain. I have a sailing kayak (old one that needs to be
repaired - picked up really cheap) complete with both main
and jib and two lee-boards. Lots of folk sail canoes as
well.

Mike
Tinkerntom

Michael Daly wrote:
On 1-Apr-2005, "Tinkerntom" wrote:

Wilf, therein lies the problem, this NG is for paddle craft.

Actually, sailing paddlecraft is well within this newsgroup's
domain. I have a sailing kayak (old one that needs to be
repaired - picked up really cheap) complete with both main
and jib and two lee-boards. Lots of folk sail canoes as
well.

Mike

I hate OT posting, and this being a thread about "can we talk about
paddling now?", but I will venture to stray a little into that
dangerous chop.

I have the lanteen sail rig for my Folbot Super, and horror of horror,
I picked up a small 2.5 Mercury Mariner, that I plan on incorporating
in my total package. So now I can be anything I want to be, a
paddlecraft, a sailboat, a motor boat, looks like it is going to be a
good year! The biggest problem with the Super, is that they track so
straight, that when sailing, and it comes time to tack, they just want
to keep going straight. But such is life! TnT