BCITORGB

Default Scots, kilts and Farmer Johns - what to wear?

This will surely seem like a total newbie question. (Is there a rbpt
FAQ?)

After purchasing a kayak, I found that part of the culture appears to
be a ritual pilgrimage to buy a membership in the Mountain Equipment
Coop (in Canada). This I dutifully attended to yesterday afternoon.
After completing the form, I strolled around my local outlet.

I marvelled at all the cool toys and was impressed by the quality and
price of the Farmer Johns. It then struck me: I hadn't a clue, should I
ever buy one, what one wears under them. Are they like the Scotsman's
kilt?

Any help in this regard or anything else I ought to know about these
things would be welcome.

Cheers,
Wilf

riverman

"BCITORGB" wrote in message
oups.com...
This will surely seem like a total newbie question. (Is there a rbpt
FAQ?)

After purchasing a kayak, I found that part of the culture appears to
be a ritual pilgrimage to buy a membership in the Mountain Equipment
Coop (in Canada). This I dutifully attended to yesterday afternoon.
After completing the form, I strolled around my local outlet.

I marvelled at all the cool toys and was impressed by the quality and
price of the Farmer Johns. It then struck me: I hadn't a clue, should I
ever buy one, what one wears under them. Are they like the Scotsman's
kilt?

Any help in this regard or anything else I ought to know about these
things would be welcome.

Cheers,
Wilf

Silk boxers are nice, but they tend to bind up when you put on the farmer
johns. I used to wear speedos, back when I lived in cold climes. Nothing on
the top half. Unless you are prone to loaning your wetsuit out (not a
hygenic idea), the reason for wearing something underneath is to avoid skid
marks when you postage stamp yourself against the big rock in the middle of
the plume on some class 5 river that your buddies promised was only a class
3 at this level.

--riverman

Gary S.

On 8 Mar 2005 12:43:13 -0800, "BCITORGB"
wrote:

After purchasing a kayak, I found that part of the culture appears to
be a ritual pilgrimage to buy a membership in the Mountain Equipment
Coop (in Canada). This I dutifully attended to yesterday afternoon.
After completing the form, I strolled around my local outlet.

I marvelled at all the cool toys and was impressed by the quality and
price of the Farmer Johns. It then struck me: I hadn't a clue, should I
ever buy one, what one wears under them. Are they like the Scotsman's
kilt?

Any help in this regard or anything else I ought to know about these
things would be welcome.

While I have no plans to invade the privacy of any kilted Scotsman, I
can address the other.

Going commando underneath a wetsuit is not a great idea.

Many will wear a swimsuit, leaning towards a thin nylon or Lycra. In
some conditions, wearing lightweight polypro might make sense.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
BCITORGB

riverman:
==============
I used to wear speedos, back when I lived in cold climes.
===================

I guess I'm in "cold" climes (Pacific Northwest), so I'll give the
speedos a try (although I've tended to avoid the very brief "eastern
european at the beach" fashion statement -- which is`exactly the
comment I know I'll get from my wife and daughters... "eeeeewwwwwww!")

So far, everything I've read about attire indicates that cotton is out.
Thus, I'll assume, not cotton briefs.

So, while we're on the topic, if not cotton T-shirts, what would you
recommend as a top?

If all goes according to plan, we hit the salt chuck this weekend for
our shake-down cruise.

Cheers,
Wilf
=============

riverman

"BCITORGB" wrote in message
oups.com...
riverman:
==============
I used to wear speedos, back when I lived in cold climes.
===================

I guess I'm in "cold" climes (Pacific Northwest), so I'll give the
speedos a try (although I've tended to avoid the very brief "eastern
european at the beach" fashion statement -- which is`exactly the
comment I know I'll get from my wife and daughters... "eeeeewwwwwww!")

So far, everything I've read about attire indicates that cotton is out.
Thus, I'll assume, not cotton briefs.

So, while we're on the topic, if not cotton T-shirts, what would you
recommend as a top?

If all goes according to plan, we hit the salt chuck this weekend for
our shake-down cruise.

I never wore anything on top. The purpose of the speedos, as I said, really
is to avoid 'dirtying' the wetsuit. However, as your body heat is an
essential element in the function of the suit, then go topless underneath
and on your legs.

However, if you want to keep the suit free from body hair, sweat, dead skin,
etc. then wear some lightweight polypro top underneath. Nonetheless, you
still have to wash the suit about once every 5-10 wearings, or else it gets
stinky. I used to just put mine in a bathtub full of hot water and a touch
of mild handwash detergent and walk on it for a bit. Using an antiperspirant
before you put it on will save the underarm area from getting too ripe too
quickly.

--riverman

I just wear swim trunks when I think of it; Underwear when I don't. The
only reason for anything really is modesty.
I use cotton a fair bit and it does not matter. The reason cotton gets
a bad rap is because as an outer, or vented inner coating when it gets
wet it holds the water and allows it to evatorate. Evaporation is the
principle used to keep your air conditioner and fridge cold. That
eveporation and close contact with the skin will kill you in a cold
climate. Under a wet suit there is no where for the cotton to release
its water so the evaporation ( drying ) does not happen , that means
you are fine.
In warm climates Killer Cotton is the best thing in the world. Here in
eastern Canada, in the Labrador current it is not something I would
wear on the ocean ( ever ) . In Nova Sotias Bras' Dor Lakes I likely
would seek out a cotton T shirt.
I, by the way; normally wear a dry suit.
The important thing is to be comfortable and safe. If you are getting a
wet suit and asking these questions you will likely be fine.
I would try to take a course or join a club in your area.The
information is good and often free.
All the best
Alex McGruer

BCITORGB

Alex says:
==============
In warm climates Killer Cotton is the best thing in the world. Here in
eastern Canada, in the Labrador current it is not something I would
wear on the ocean ( ever ) .
===================

Since thinking about going out on the water and having read about
cotton being bad, I've had to reevaluate my wardrobe: it seems that
cotton is just about all I own.

I suppose I'll have to look at poly or fleece type options. For the
summer months around here (Vancouver and the Gulf Islands) I'm guessing
that all my cotton stuff will do, as the temperatures -- air and water
-- seem to be relatively warm (from June to October, I think, but I'll
ask around).

Thanks for the tip re cotton under the wet suit - it stands to reason
that without the evaporation, the chilling factor doesn't occur. Maybe
I won't have to go the Speedo route after all.

Cheers,
Wilf

Michael Daly

On 8-Mar-2005, "BCITORGB" wrote:

I suppose I'll have to look at poly or fleece type options. For the
summer months around here (Vancouver and the Gulf Islands) I'm guessing
that all my cotton stuff will do, as the temperatures -- air and water
-- seem to be relatively warm (from June to October, I think, but I'll
ask around).

MEC stocks some decent polyester quick-dry Tees and stuff. Better than
polypro as it doesn't tend to stink as much when worn a short time.
In fact, check out all the paddling wear at MEC once the spring/summer
stock is in.

I usually wear swimming trunks (MEC quick dry shorts) and a long sleeved
Powerdry top under an FJ most of the time. Only when it's hot enough to
skip an FJ do I wear a short sleeved polyester Tee. I find that the wind
over water gets just chilly enough to want long sleeves most of the time.

I don't know that the cotton is ever a good idea. I've never heard anyone
describe the BC coast as having particularly warm water. You have to dress
more for immersion than for the air, unless you have a bombproof roll and
paddle in a group.

Mike
Darryl Johnson

BCITORGB wrote in news:1110337727.832888.70210
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Alex says:
==============
[...]

MEC sells "quick-dry" boxer shorts and briefs, as well as other
clothing. I use the boxers under everything. They're sized to fit
snugly, like the tight shorts that bicyclers wear. They look so much
like those biker shorts that I can change in the middle of a crowded
parking lot and not get a second glance fomr anyone. Well, maybe a
few young kids saying: "Who's the fat old guiy over there, and what's
he doing?"

--
Darryl
Fiona Stirling

Darryl Johnson wrote:
[...]

i wear a lite swim suit under an fj. i wear quick dry material over the
fj and under a spray jacket as required. baby powder is something i
have not heard mentioned in this string. best two dollars you are
likely to spend... the swim suit is simply to allow me to slip into
something dry in a parking lot.
oh; be carefull. i thought i had a bomb proof roll untill i tried one
in very cold water. a friend, who i though less skilled than i, rescued
me and is still laughing at it.
it was a very hot day but the water was bitterly cold. the lads did
some rolls, a couple of practice rescues and we all did some rock
hopping. i am bcu trained ( well trained ) lots of certificates;
thought i could show them. when that cold water hit my head and neck i
panicked and did a fast wet exit. i had my paddle but my friend was
tasked with recovering my boat. i was gasping for air as water filled
my spray jacket and wet suit. both of them told me not to try a roll
without a dry suit.
i have never been so cought off before or since. i had no idea the
effect realy cold water has.
that was in newfoundland 3 years ago. i have never had that problem
again since in nova scotia and british columbia the water does not get
that cold.
just a note,,, dress for immersion.
that ended our paddling day as it drained all my energy ( instantly )
and scared me even though we were 100 m from a beach take out and the
same to our cars.
i borrowed my friends hh thick poly pro and curled up in my car to get
warm again , they put our boats on the car. people on the beach got a
wonderfull laugh.
Oh . I was wearing a very light fasionable dry suit, a neoptrene swim
suit realy a light spray top and light polly pro . the weather was 25
or 27 c the water was about 0 c.
We had lots of great paddling later that week but i was a little better
prepared.

fiona