Tinkerntom

Why not measure the HR of the engine? I've read that the well trained
athelete can output something in the neighborhood of 1/4 HP. All the
variables of measuring the work accomplished would not change the power
rating of the motor, if it is power you are after! TnT

Gary S.

On 27 Feb 2005 06:35:50 -0800, "Tinkerntom" wrote:

Why not measure the HR of the engine? I've read that the well trained
athelete can output something in the neighborhood of 1/4 HP. All the
variables of measuring the work accomplished would not change the power
rating of the motor, if it is power you are after! TnT

Different muscle groups may output different amounts of energy/power,
whatever the potential of the CV system.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Allan Bennett

In article .com, Tinkerntom
wrote:
Why not measure the HR of the engine? I've read that the well trained
athelete can output something in the neighborhood of 1/4 HP. All the
variables of measuring the work accomplished would not change the power
rating of the motor, if it is power you are after! TnT

HR is a measure of sympathetic stimulation and oxygen demand by the working
muscles. It will not give an accurate assessment of power, esp when
anaerobic fibres become significantly invloved... Those who have used a HRM
will also have noticed that HR can remain high even when the workload is
reduced to plodding pace or slower, plus weekly or daily variations.

Allan Bennett
Not a fan of horse-sense

Kieran

Allan Bennett wrote:
In article .com, Tinkerntom
wrote:

Why not measure the HR of the engine? I've read that the well trained
athelete can output something in the neighborhood of 1/4 HP. All the
variables of measuring the work accomplished would not change the power
rating of the motor, if it is power you are after! TnT

HR is a measure of sympathetic stimulation and oxygen demand by the working
muscles. It will not give an accurate assessment of power, esp when
anaerobic fibres become significantly invloved... Those who have used a HRM
will also have noticed that HR can remain high even when the workload is
reduced to plodding pace or slower, plus weekly or daily variations.

Allan Bennett
Not a fan of horse-sense

The P.I. I'm working with is actually a systems physiologist, and
currently uses metabolic estimates of power and economy (HR + O2
consumption) for kayaking. We want a more direct measurement.

-Kieran