Barry

Default Catalogs...

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions about what catalogs I can order
on-line (free) that contain kayak related products. I've found a few but as
a newbie, I'd like to get the best catalogs I can so that I can "window
shop". I live in such a remote area that catalogs are my main source for
such activities...and it helps educate me so that when I take trips to cites
that have good kayak shops, I can ask knowledgeable questions...AND, more
importantly, I know what's out there and what kind of prices are reasonable.
This helps if I visit a town where someone is trying to sell a used kayak.
If I know for sure what it should sell for new, then I'm better prepared
etc.

Links would be appreciated as well as other suggestions.

Thanks
Barry

John Fereira

"Kathy" wrote in
:

http://www.kayakshops.com/

While this is a good idea in theory, the fact the it is a commercial site
that charges shops to be listed severely limits the number of shops listed.
For example, when I selected New York state only one shop was listed. There
are two shops just in my own (relatively small) town and I know of 3-4 more
within a two hour drive, none of which are listed.

In this case, Google is your friend. Entering paddling related terms
(kayak, kayaking, paddle, etc) along with a a state name has always produced
a number of links to paddle shops in an area I'm looking at. I understand
the OP (original posters) problem finding local paddling shops and paddlers
due to being in a sparsely populated area (I am familiar with the Smith
river area as I was born in Northern California). When I started to paddle
7 years ago or so I expressed the same concern and I live in a much more
densely populated area. There was only one place within a radius of a
couple hundred miles that sold kayaks and no local clubs.

A couple of more suggestions.

Keep reading the group and other paddling forums (is Boatertalk still
active?).

The NRS catalog is probably one of the best mail order catalogs available
(www.nrsweb.com)

Subscribe to paddling related magazines (Paddler, Canoe & Kayak).

Join the AWA (http://www.americanwhitewater.org/) which includes a
subscription to their magazine.

Look for "collection of link" type web sites that other paddlers have
created. For example, mine:
http://mayfly.mannlib.cornell.edu/paddle/index.htm

It has one of the most complete list of kayak vendor links I've come across.

Steve Landis

On 9/14/2004 2:01 PM, Barry wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions about what catalogs I can order
on-line (free) that contain kayak related products. I've found a few but as
a newbie, I'd like to get the best catalogs I can so that I can "window
shop". I live in such a remote area that catalogs are my main source for
such activities...and it helps educate me so that when I take trips to cites
that have good kayak shops, I can ask knowledgeable questions...AND, more
importantly, I know what's out there and what kind of prices are reasonable.
This helps if I visit a town where someone is trying to sell a used kayak.
If I know for sure what it should sell for new, then I'm better prepared
etc.

Links would be appreciated as well as other suggestions.

Here's an old school big guy boat that might work for you, if you can
find one.
http://www.kayaknews.ca/yak/boats/PrijonTornado.shtml
Check out the Comparison Engine on this site as well as the Boats for Sale

Steve
Steve Landis

On 9/14/2004 9:19 PM, Steve Landis wrote:

[...]

You can also sort creek boats by max capacity here...
http://tinyurl.com/6o967

Steve

John

Some Kayak Mags publish an annual buyers guide. Canoe and Kayak Mag is one
, I think. They list almost all makes, model, specs, and prices. Hit your
local magazine stand.

John
"Barry" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

John Fereira

"John" wrote in
:

Some Kayak Mags publish an annual buyers guide. Canoe and Kayak Mag
is one , I think. They list almost all makes, model, specs, and prices.
Hit your local magazine stand.

Both Canoe and Kayak mag. and Paddler magazine produce annual buyers guides.
A couple of years ago I was gleaning the information from those sources as
well as vendor web sites and putting it into a searchable database but I
just don't have the time for it now.