ulTRAX

Default ANY OPINIONS ON THE PELICAN STORM or WAVE?

A local wholesale club is selling a Pelican Storm kayak for $300 US.
It's a package deal which includes a spray skirt and no doubt cheap
paddles. This model is NOT on the www-pelican-int.com site and the
best I can deduce is that the base model is the Pelican Wave.... an
entry level hard shell sit-in which lists for $250 US.

There's not many reviews on-line but some have said it does not track
particularly well.... I'm not sure if that's with the skeg attached. I
suspect that I'll primarily use it for touring but may do some class
II or III whitewater. I'd prefer a bigger cargo hatch but at this
price point it's lucky to have a flotation bulkhead.

Does anyone have any opinions on this model? Is it even a good deal at
$300 US?

Thanks!!
John Ramsay

ulTRAX wrote:

A local wholesale club is selling a Pelican Storm kayak for $300 US.
It's a package deal which includes a spray skirt and no doubt cheap
paddles. This model is NOT on the www-pelican-int.com site and the
best I can deduce is that the base model is the Pelican Wave.... an
entry level hard shell sit-in which lists for $250 US.

Check the weight. This time last year I was interested in a
Pelican canoe because of the low price but found out it
was very heavy.

There's not many reviews on-line but some have said it does not track
particularly well.... I'm not sure if that's with the skeg attached. I
suspect that I'll primarily use it for touring but may do some class
II or III whitewater. I'd prefer a bigger cargo hatch but at this
price point it's lucky to have a flotation bulkhead.

Does anyone have any opinions on this model? Is it even a good deal at
$300 US?

Thanks!!

ulTRAX

John Ramsay wrote in message ...
ulTRAX wrote:

A local wholesale club is selling a Pelican Storm kayak for $300 US.
It's a package deal which includes a spray skirt and no doubt cheap
paddles. This model is NOT on the www-pelican-int.com site and the
best I can deduce is that the base model is the Pelican Wave.... an
entry level hard shell sit-in which lists for $250 US.

Check the weight. This time last year I was interested in a
Pelican canoe because of the low price but found out it
was very heavy.

Actually it's rather light... 34 lbs.
Dean

I have an opinion because I actually own one. I think it is a great
recreational Kayak for short trips. You are right on everything you
seen about it in the reviews, it doesn't have a skeg attached. Also
you do have to work at the paddling a bit because it is a wide kayak.
Puts you in shape!!
I also have one for sale if you are looking in the ottawa area for
about $350 canadian I only used it for one summer (8 times) and I now
need something bigger because I am a family man.
The Skirt was never used so everything is in execellent condition.

Storm jib? Stephen Trapani Cruising 8 May 11th 04 05:10 AM
Antenna Ratings sk Electronics 22 January 7th 04 12:27 PM
Long Island Sound wave height question Chris General 7 September 1st 03 03:48 PM
what to do in a swamped boat in a storm? pb General 9 August 14th 03 05:33 AM
What to do in a lighting storm while Kayaking? [email protected] General 9 July 30th 03 12:05 PM