Bob Arledge

Default Just curious why my last post was deleted

A week or two ago I posted a message asking for information about kayaking
in the Tonkin Gulf, Vietnam. A few days later the message disappeared from
the newsgroup. Is there a moderator for this newsgroup? Would he/she have
deleted it? If so, why? Is there some other way a post would disappear?

riverman

"Bob Arledge" wrote in message
A week or two ago I posted a message asking for information about kayaking
in the Tonkin Gulf, Vietnam. A few days later the message disappeared from
the newsgroup. Is there a moderator for this newsgroup? Would he/she have
deleted it? If so, why? Is there some other way a post would disappear?

It still shows up on deja.com, so my guess is that maybe the problem is in
your computer settings? I did a 'catch up' yesterday, so I can't see
messages from before then, but I remember seeing your message, but didn't
notice it going away. Sometimes, the ghost in the machine deletes messages
before their expiration dates arrive; I don't think anything malicious
happened.

Then again, it might have been the government. :-)

--riverman

Gary S.

On Sun, 2 May 2004 16:23:50 -0400, "Bob Arledge"
wrote:

A week or two ago I posted a message asking for information about kayaking
in the Tonkin Gulf, Vietnam. A few days later the message disappeared from
the newsgroup. Is there a moderator for this newsgroup? Would he/she have
deleted it? If so, why? Is there some other way a post would disappear?

Google Groups has it:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=bob%40arledge.cc&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&newwindow=1&selm=J5idnVdyVqhbVhzdRVn-jw%40suscom-maine.net&rnum=2

No moderator for most groups.

Messages are not kept forever on your ISP's server, and different
newsgroups may have various expiration schedules.

Google Groups, and its predecessor, Deja News, archive almost all
Usenet messages.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
PMH

riverman wrote:

"Bob Arledge" wrote in message

A week or two ago I posted a message asking for information about kayaking
in the Tonkin Gulf, Vietnam. A few days later the message disappeared from
the newsgroup. Is there a moderator for this newsgroup? Would he/she have
deleted it? If so, why? Is there some other way a post would disappear?

It still shows up on deja.com, so my guess is that maybe the problem is in
your computer settings? I did a 'catch up' yesterday, so I can't see
messages from before then, but I remember seeing your message, but didn't
notice it going away. Sometimes, the ghost in the machine deletes messages
before their expiration dates arrive; I don't think anything malicious
happened.

Then again, it might have been the government. :-)

--riverman

Or the poster's browser/reader is set to delete messages older than
n-days. I have mine set to ignore anything more than 7 days old.

Pete H

--
Either everyone has rights or some have privileges.
It's really that simple.

John Fereira

"riverman" wrote in
:

"Bob Arledge" wrote in message
A week or two ago I posted a message asking for information about
kayaking in the Tonkin Gulf, Vietnam. A few days later the message
disappeared from the newsgroup. Is there a moderator for this
newsgroup? Would he/she have deleted it? If so, why? Is there some
other way a post would disappear?

It still shows up on deja.com, so my guess is that maybe the problem is
in your computer settings? I did a 'catch up' yesterday, so I can't see
messages from before then, but I remember seeing your message, but
didn't notice it going away. Sometimes, the ghost in the machine
deletes messages before their expiration dates arrive; I don't think
anything malicious happened.

That's just how usenet works. Every news server can be configure to
"expire" articles after a certain amount of time. For many the expire time
is set for two weeks. When an article is expired it is deleted from the
server but that doesn't mean that it might not be available through a
different server, like Google groups which configures their systems so that
articles on their server never expire. Configuring a server such that
articles expire after a couple of weeks or less gives users a reasonable
chance to read new articles but doesn't require the massive amounts of disc
space to keep every article posted forever.

Most news clients will "mark" an article as read after you've seen it once
so that it's header is not downloaded to the client every time you run the
client. Otherwise, everytime you ran the news client you'd see the same
articles over and over until they expired. That would make it very
difficult to follow a busy newsgroup.