Peter Unold

Default Foam backrest

Hi Paddlers

Today I finished installing a new backrest on my Inuk kayak. It turned
out better than I had hoped for. Allow me to brag a little...

The rear bulkhead is already pretty close to my back. There's around
4cm from the top of the sloping bulkhead to my lower back. I needed a
bit of support here.

The Inuk got an ocean size cockpit, which means that one slide into
the seat from behind. This doesn't work well with a backrest hanging
from straps, as one tends to end up sitting on the backrest.

As a consequence I carved the backrest out of minicell foam. The foam
block rests on the bulkhead/seat, so it's no problem that I temporary
sit on the block when sliding into the seat.

Finally I glued wide straps of Velcro on the bulkhead and on the foam
block. I entered the cockpit a number of times and the Velcro had no
problems keeping the backrest in place.

The reason for using Velcro was partly to avoid drilling holes in the
bulkhead and partly because the backrest should be easy to remove when
I practice roles.

Now for the kicker. I went out to practice handrolls and had planned
to remove the backrest. However to my amazement it turned out that it
was actually easier to get into a position lying flat on the rear-deck
with the backrest installed. The foam block supported my hipbone just
the right place, making the butt-out-of-seat-and-back-on-the-rear-deck
motion completely painless. Without the foam block, the sharp edge of
the cockpit rim cuts into my back. The concept of a solid backrest
seems promising.

I discovered another thing. I wish the aft VCP hatch was recessed in
the deck. I twice slammed the back of my head on the edge of the hatch
when rolling up. Quite painful, although I both wore a chillcheater
and a neoprene hood.

The volume of the backrest is less than a liter. If it had been
larger, it had potentials as paddlefloat.

That's all from the kayak customization department.

Peter Unold
www.unold.dk/paddling