Serge

Default Anybody tried "SOSPENDERS" inflatable life jackets?

http://www.sospenders.com/product/8030206.html

Looks like a good idea, but how does it work in emergency?
They claim 22 to 35lb buoyancy.

Some have manual inflater if CO2 cartridge fails.
Some have pockets and even D-rings (makes it a harness too).

It does not make you hot and does not restrict movement.
It does not even cost more than good life jacket.

Where is the catch?

On 5 Mar 2004 13:37:27 -0800, (Serge) wrote:

http://www.sospenders.com/product/8030206.html

Looks like a good idea, but how does it work in emergency?

snip

Where is the catch?

I have never tried them, but there is an interesting page by Wes Boyd
about them. His site is geared towards larger kayakers, don't know if
you fit into that category, but it's a good read anyway. Go to:
http://www.kayakplace.com/bigguy/bigpfd.htm
I already have a conventional PFD, but might get one of these in
addition. Then I can wear this and keep the other "available" if
needed. Good luck!
Dan
John R Weiss

"Serge" wrote

Where is the catch?

The "catch" is that if you are knocked upside the head by the boom, neither the
CO2 cart or the manual inflation tube will be doing anything -- they have
negative buoyancy when deflated...

A more-expensive (and possibly not yet USCG certified) option is a hybrid, which
has some inherent floatation as well as the air chamber.

I use the inflatable on my 21' sailboat and when rowing in sheltered water.
Otherwise, a regular vest is preferable offshore or in bad weather.

Andrew S

Hi Serge,

"Serge" wrote in message
om...
http://www.sospenders.com/product/8030206.html

Looks like a good idea, but how does it work in emergency?
They claim 22 to 35lb buoyancy.

Some have manual inflater if CO2 cartridge fails.
Some have pockets and even D-rings (makes it a harness too).

It does not make you hot and does not restrict movement.
It does not even cost more than good life jacket.

Where is the catch?

The catch could be what you are looking at this link is a universal crotch
strap :-)

Having said that, the inflatable pfd whilst great to wear, is a much greater
cost than standard pfd's when you consider the accessories on a good jacket.
An inflatable jacket generally doesn't contain any storage for knife, radio,
gps, food, water etc etc.....

IMHO for the jacket to be effective (as a true safety device) it needs to
contain the automatic inflation system. I have found this to be rather
anoying as the system can arm itself when the water is rough. Any moisture
near the bobbin, which is used to trigger the jacket, can set the jacket
off. At US20 a pop, this can add up quick. This means no diliberate eskimo
rolls, surfing etc...:-(

My thoughts......not great for wet weather or paddlesports....good for
working around boats in good weather/temperature conditions.

Regards

Andrew

Peter

Andrew S wrote:
"Serge" wrote in message
om...

http://www.sospenders.com/product/8030206.html

Looks like a good idea, but how does it work in emergency?
They claim 22 to 35lb buoyancy.

Some have manual inflater if CO2 cartridge fails.
Some have pockets and even D-rings (makes it a harness too).

It does not make you hot and does not restrict movement.
It does not even cost more than good life jacket.

Where is the catch?

IMHO for the jacket to be effective (as a true safety device) it needs to
contain the automatic inflation system.

Why? This seems to assume that you expect your normal PFD to protect you
even in the event of an accident that leaves you incapacitated to the
extent that you can't even pull the cord on the inflatable vest.
Unfortunately the Type III PFDs that are used by almost all paddlers are
also not designed to be effective for an incapacitated person. Unlike a
Type I, they are not certified to roll you over and keep your face out of
the water (and even a Type I might well be ineffective if you're still
partly inside your kayak).

The regular PFDs we use for paddling already assume that we'll take some
deliberate actions to get and keep our heads above water - the additional
need to pull the cord is a pretty small additional action. The exception
I see is when spending time surfing in rock-garden areas where the PFD
(along with a helmet) needs to protect against impacts as well as provide
bouyancy. In that case a regular foam PFD is clearly superior since rock
impacts can happen without enough time or water contact to inflate even the
automatic CO2 PFDs and those could also fail due to punctures in such
conditions.

So when I get an inflatable I plan to keep my current PFD and use it on
those trips where I consider a helmet to be necessary. But for most trips
I would rather use the inflatable type.

Life jackets Jay General 5 June 13th 04 06:12 AM
porta-bote or inflatable? Parallax Cruising 63 April 12th 04 09:03 PM
FS: Achilles Inflatable Boat $495 o/t in Seattle HC Carter Marketplace 0 November 17th 03 04:37 AM
ANNOUNCE: Mako Inflatables launch new X-Treme inflatable racer in South Africa [email protected] Marketplace 0 November 7th 03 03:16 PM
Just How Safe Do You Feel? Doug Kanter General 34 July 13th 03 06:14 PM