Wandering Hiker

Default What is a Sponson?

Hey, what is a sponson and why should we be talking about it?

John

Where can I purchase sponsons for kayaks ? I hear they can be a lifesaver !
John

"Wandering Hiker" wrote in message
. ..
Hey, what is a sponson and why should we be talking about it?

Timo Noko

In article , Tim Ingram wrote:
Please See:

http://www.bconnex.net/~timkayak/canoe.html

These are not sponsoons, these are just floating aids. Of the most
stupid and clueless kind, if I may say so.

Real sponsoons are integral part of some types of vessel. Fox example
Joshua Slocum had sponsoons out of bamboo:
http://209.11.144.65/eldritchpress/js/liberdade.htm
Tim Ingram

I think you need to see this message to Lloyd too. It applies to you.
Your
arguments are fallacious ("bait and switch"), that are the only safety
arguments we see here on this newsgroup. Do you want Slocum's bamboo
sponsons on all the time? Where would you stow 'em? Slocum was
shipwrecked. "Liberdade" was a way for his family to get back to
Boston from Montevideo. Slocum was an old seamaster. They don't exist
now.

That is why we want "automatic inflating sponsons" for canoes and
kayaks. They are concealed in the gunwale line until needed. Almost
unnoticed until emergencies as in the link. Why leave kids to die in
the water?

You might as well say that nobody should paddle. Why not try: "Paddle
only the safest canoes and kayaks! No-one should die in the water.
Canoes and kayaks can be remarkably safe!" Now, that wasn't hard!

Note carefully the USCG etc. quotes below and BARD stats. Don't lie to
people. You are in a study.

See to Lloyd:

You initiated "the need to discuss sponsons", as the record shows.

Now you want a "moderated" (i.e. censored) discussion. A discussion
cannot have one side. I want you to know that these posts are included
in a very large social psychology experiment.

You see, Milgram had a lot of flack at Yale in the 60's, for hurting
subjects psychologically. But this newsgroup already puts paddlers in
the water with no means of escape. (Hurting them terminally.) So they
die anyway. I am well within any legal and academic ethical
boundaries. In fact I need to occasionally show that I do everything
possible to try to prevent canoe and kayak deaths.

What is interesting for the study is your discussion, among others.
Not only that, you continue to wish the worst for future dead Girl
Guides etc. (No means to escape deadly waters.) Those dear little
girls were wearing PFDs of course.

Anyone can see:

http://www.bconnex.net/~timkayak/canoe.html

and they have no wonder that sales decline etc., in a sport that wants
to make it as hard as possible to get out of the water and live. Even
for kids. Not a good move for decent people. Or anyone trying to
promote a sport. Sell by safety. And other positive benefits. No point
making boats that hurt people, when they can be remarkably safe!

Tim

(Timo Noko) wrote in message ...
In article , Tim Ingram wrote:
Please See:

http://www.bconnex.net/~timkayak/canoe.html

These are not sponsoons, these are just floating aids. Of the most
stupid and clueless kind, if I may say so.

Real sponsoons are integral part of some types of vessel. Fox example
Joshua Slocum had sponsoons out of bamboo:
http://209.11.144.65/eldritchpress/js/liberdade.htm

Remarks from a sponson owner (some truthful obsevations) Scott Bemis General 1 March 16th 04 10:51 PM
Tim Ingram Sponson Man Wandering Hiker General 2 February 23rd 04 05:14 PM
What is a Sponson? Tim Ingram General 0 February 21st 04 01:16 PM
Wow, that sponson thread must have pleased Timmy MLL General 0 August 29th 03 09:56 PM
Folbot air sponson replacement question. bp General 2 July 26th 03 12:25 AM