Scott Bemis

Default Remarks from a sponson owner (some truthful obsevations)

These are my observations and opinions about using sponsons on a
Current Designs Storm kayak.

What is the best use for sponsons?
Practicing kayak rolls, for example in pool sessions in winter as I
live in Minnesota. I have to doing everything almost perfectly to roll
back up. If I make any slight mistakes, due to the additional
resistance of the sponsons, I will not roll back up (up for a breath
of air and then back under water again). I used these after getting
the forward sweep roll down on both my strong and weak side.

2nd best use - with a downwind sail, although I need several more
hours of testing in higher winds

3rd best use
And this is guess "Sheer panic in strong thunderstorm generated winds"
I was stuck on a sailboat once in this situation with the sail going
back up the mast. I can only imagine what this would be like in a
smaller kayak.

Can I capsize a kayak with sponsons?
Yes, quite easily in a indoor pool (no wind, no waves). As referred
to above, I use these for kayak rolling practice.

Can I stand in a kayak with sponsons?
Yes, with some practice, but I can stand in my kayak with some
practice WITHOUT sponsons.

Do they help?
Yes, but nowhere near the advertised hype from my use.

Are there issues with the sponsons?
As I received them, they had plastic clips. I use eyestraps bolted on
my kayak to which to attach these plastic clips. And guess what?
When rolling with these plastic clips and bracing, the (obscenity
deleted) sponson came unclipped. So, I added an adjustable chain link
(yes, there is a easily noticed and fixed manufacturing defect). And
what else, the inflation tube easily pulled off the connector on the
sponson. This, too, was easily fixed with marine epoxy (but yes,
another easily noticed manufacturing defect).

I also contributed to the USCG report (or at least sent photos and
notes to the USCG consultant last year - 2003).

Scott Bemis
John Kuthe

Default Trolling for sick puppies?

?