George Gralund

Default Good Kayaking Camera

I'm going to paddle with the whales next summer around Tadoussac in
Quebec and would like a good, waterproof camera (preferably digital)
to take along. Any recommendations?
Fred Klingener

"George Gralund" wrote in message
m...
I'm going to paddle with the whales next summer around Tadoussac in
Quebec and would like a good, waterproof camera (preferably digital)
to take along. Any recommendations?

I think today the hot setup is the Pentax Optio 33WR. You get a pretty
upscale digital camera good for temporary immersion to a meter of water.
Sounds about right for boating.

My trouble with dry cameras in Pelican cases (which I now use) is that
they're never around when you need them.

Hth,
Fred Klingener

Eric Nyre

Hi George,

The two cameras I would suggest are

Canon S400: 4MP Digital Camera $379.94 (2/01/04)
combined with the WP-DC800 waterproof case $196.88 (2/01/04)

The S400 is fairly small, but takes wonderful photos. I have seen
11x17 prints made from the camera, and they were nice. If you put it
in the case, it is waterproof to 100 feet or more. You can use all the
functions while the camera is in the case. The only reason to take it
out is to change batteries or plug it into your computer.

Minolta Dimage XT: 3.2MP Digital Camera $259.94 (2/01/04)
combined with the MC-DG200 waterproof case $199.99 (2/02/04)

The Dimage is tiny. The lens/ optical zoom fits inside the camera
body, so there are no protruding parts. It is a little larger than a
credit card, but about as unobtrusive. The case makes it a little
larger, but it is still something you can clip to your PFD and not
really notice it. It is smaller than the Canon S400 listed above, but
it is 3.2 not 4MP.

If you want some more information, I put them on the Canoe Colorado
website. The link is http://www.canoecolorado.com/electronics/#Cameras

- Eric

Alex McGruer

(Eric Nyre) wrote in message om...
[...]

Canon WP1
about $200.00 35 MM water proof.
My web site is http://pages.ivillage.com/mcgruer . All the photos on
that site are taken with that camera of a Minolta X 700
The Minolta is not water tight but a fine product.
Neither of these are digital but the Canon WP1 took that photo of a
whale under water while I did a roll.
Sony has a cool little digital water proof camera. I don't have one
but a couple of my friends got them for Christmas and are pleased.
If money matters the WP1 is the greatest. Mine cost $120.00 cdn A
COUPLE OF YEARS BACK.
Timo Noko

Digital Video Camera makes more sense in a kayak, because
at home youll have 100000 frames to choose from, instead
of some 10s:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/timo.noko/2000/ketku.jpg
Bill Tuthill

Fred Klingener wrote:

I think today the hot setup is the Pentax Optio 33WR. You get a pretty
upscale digital camera good for temporary immersion to a meter of water.
Sounds about right for boating.

You are probably correct. This camera was introduced last October, so
there aren't many reviews of it yet. Steves-digicams.com likes it.
Neither Dpreview.com nor Imaging-resources.com has reviewed it yet.
The primary competitors are the Stylus/Mju 300 and 400 from Olympus,
and according to Dpreview.com both those produced mediocre results.
Biggest problems with the 33WR are barrel distortion at "wide" angle
(37mm SLR equivalent) and pincushion distortion at telephoto (104mm).

John/Charleston

Canon WP1
about $200.00 35 MM water proof.
My web site is http://pages.ivillage.com/mcgruer . All the photos on
that site are taken with that camera of a Minolta X 700
The Minolta is not water tight but a fine product.
Neither of these are digital but the Canon WP1 took that photo of a
whale under water while I did a roll.
Sony has a cool little digital water proof camera. I don't have one
but a couple of my friends got them for Christmas and are pleased.
If money matters the WP1 is the greatest. Mine cost $120.00 cdn A
COUPLE OF YEARS BACK.

Fantastic pictures with the whales, Alex. Jealous here.

Eric Johnson

I called Pentax and asked specifically about using it the 33WR for kayaking
in sal****er and they said it was NOT within the design specs. According to
Pentax it will probably be OK, but they won't garauntee it.