Brian Nystrom

Default Kayak help please

andrei wrote:

(Gene Cosloy) wrote in message . com...

(Blankibr) wrote in message ...

I can't answer your question about inflatable kayaks but I can tell you that
you should be able to put a hard shell kayak on your civic.

I encourage you to look at used boats. I currently own four and have owned
three other boats, all purchased used.

Brian Blankinship

Hi Brian,
Aside from Ebay, where else do you recommend looking for a used sea kayak?

Thanks,
Gene

Simply put: Wilderness System's Tarpon 100.
Length: 10ft
Weight: 50lbs
Costs: less than 500 bucks (with paddle and built-in backrest)

For a product review - look he

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/show...html?prod=1155

These are FANTASIC sit-on-top recreational kayaks, ideal for
beginners. Down where I live (Florida) they are selling like crazy,
the stores sell them within days of gettin them.

I got one, then I got my wife one and we love it. I enthusiastically
reccommend it to anyone.

And the stores up here sell lots of Swiftys, Pungos and Experiences.
Like the Tarpon, they're all short, wide, slower-than-death and
basically only suitable for splashing around on flat water. If that's
what you plan to do, they're fine, but if you have anything more
ambitious in mind, you'd be better off with a longer, narrower, more
seaworthy boat.

--
Regards

Brian

andrei

(Blankibr) wrote in message ...

[...]

Brian is absolutely correct (although "slower-than-death" is a rather
exagerated). If you want something more "ambitious", something
faster, or something for white water - get something else but not a
Tarpon (or similiar). Tarpons & Co. are RECREATIONAL kayaks for
(almost) flat water. You should keep this in mind when making a
choice.

Hope you find the right one!
Dave Wiggins

I have an Acura CL and easily carry my fiberglass/wood 17 foot kayak on top.
Dave
"stevej" wrote in message
Why not build a skin on frame kayak...a REAL kayak?
Polyester cloth over wood frame. Works great and you can custom fit it
to your own body.
You can also build your own paddle.
You have all winter to get it done.
Buy a thule rack and a nice PFD.

Chris wrote:
Good afternoon:

I am in the market for a Kayak and this is proving to be a nearly

impossible
decision.

I have a Honda Civic so I have been looking at inflatable kayaks because

I dont
see how I could get a rigid one in/on my car.

I will be doing most of my kayaking on Long Island Sound which is a

local
estuary off the Atlantic Ocean. Water conditions can range from nearly

flat to
2-4ft waves.
I cannot spend more than $500 on a kayak and I want a single person

boat.

If someone could steer me in the right direction I would really

appreciate it!
I want to know what type of kayak I should consider and how inflatables

compare
in these conditions to rigid ones. Also I'd like to know if shopping

for a
used kayak could be a good option.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris