lcopps

Default Traveler's Advisory

They brushed you off. The TSA has no responsibility for damage. The
airline does. Added security does not give them the green light to
destroy your boat. Especially if they collect an extra fee for handling it.

I would contact your state attorney general's office to find out what
you can do. Its possible that they can fire off a complaint to the
airline. And they do not want negative attention from the atty general.

I have carried my Klepper double to Tahiti and other places. I put both
my life jackets around the long frame pieces and paddles. I have felt
pockets for each individual frame piece. I pack the ribs in my suitcase,
sheltered by my clothes. Its a good thing to pack parts of your frame in
other bags.

I would not let them brush you off. Their own contract of carriage does
not indemnify them. You might also file a small claims suit against
them, and contact your local media consumer reporters. There are lots of
things you can do.

D. Brooke Hatfield wrote:
Traveler's Advisory:

Think twice about checking your kayak as baggage on a commercial airline
flight originating or terminating in the USA.

Inspection of baggage by the Transportation Security Administration
(TSA) has lead airlines to adopt new policies about damage to personal
items. These policies encourage mistreatment of luggage because baggage
handlers can act with impunity.

Our kayak was destroyed after its maiden voyage. Please visit a
href="http://personal.riverusers.com/~hatfield/kayak/"
http://personal.riverusers.com/~hatfield/kayak/ /a for details.

Gary S.

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 17:25:19 -0400, lcopps wrote:

They brushed you off. The TSA has no responsibility for damage. The
airline does. Added security does not give them the green light to
destroy your boat. Especially if they collect an extra fee for handling it.

I would contact your state attorney general's office to find out what
you can do. Its possible that they can fire off a complaint to the
airline. And they do not want negative attention from the atty general.

Just because they say they are not liable for damages, does not mean
they aren't. But saying that will discourage many people from taking
action against them.

Pursue this through the Attorney General of your state, and any
consumer protection agencies, in this case the FAA.

Every product or service you purchase has a certain implied warranty,
whatever their disclamer says. In the case of charging extra for
"special handling", this would be increased.

Security might be an excuse, but really has nothing to do with this
damage.

A decent boat would certainly be in the cost range where this would be
worthwhile.

If there is a pattern of such damage, or recklessness, a good attorney
might even make a case for your court cost and treble damages.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

More OT Good News! JohnH General 13 December 20th 03 01:57 PM
Traveler's Advisory Backyard Renegade General 0 August 18th 03 03:28 PM
Traveler's Advisory Ulli Touring 2 August 18th 03 05:47 AM
Traveler's Advisory LOKESH Touring 0 August 17th 03 08:58 PM