Daniel-San

Default Which Weather Radio?

I've looked at a few different ones, including a Brundig and an Oregon
Scientific model, but neither seemed all that great. The local REI only
carries these, and the local Galyan's carries none.

The ideal candidate will be small, lightweight (I do a lot of backpacking,
as well), at least water-resistant, have SAME capability, an alarm clock,
and while not as important as the other qualifications, not cost two arms
and one leg.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks for the ideas.

Gary S.

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:27:34 GMT, "Daniel-San"
wrote:

I've looked at a few different ones, including a Brundig and an Oregon
Scientific model, but neither seemed all that great. The local REI only
carries these, and the local Galyan's carries none.

The ideal candidate will be small, lightweight (I do a lot of backpacking,
as well), at least water-resistant, have SAME capability, an alarm clock,
and while not as important as the other qualifications, not cost two arms
and one leg.

The SAME feature on a weather radio will push up the price a good bit.
Make sure you need it.

An alarm clock would seem to be more of a frill than a needed feature,
and may also limit your choices.

If you do choose other than those features, consider a marine VHF
radio which will do the weather channels as well as two way talking.
On land, a ham license and a 2 meter rig would do the same.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Brian Nystrom

Daniel-San wrote:

I've looked at a few different ones, including a Brundig and an Oregon
Scientific model, but neither seemed all that great.

I agree with this assessment. They really don't work very well.

The ideal candidate will be small, lightweight (I do a lot of backpacking,
as well), at least water-resistant, have SAME capability, an alarm clock,
and while not as important as the other qualifications, not cost two arms
and one leg.

Good luck. You're not likely to find anything that fill your wish list.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

For kayaking, nothing beats a marine VHF. It provides better weather channel
reception, but more importantly, it puts assistance from the Coast Guard and
other boaters a mere push of a button away. You can get a basic model for as
little as $80. Good submersible models start at ~$150. This may be more than
you want to spend, but if you do a lot of paddling on CG patrolled waters, you
should have a VHF anyway, plus you get the weather capability you want.

--
Regards

Brian

Daniel-San

"Brian Nystrom" wrote in message

Daniel-San wrote:

I've looked at a few different ones, including a Brundig and an Oregon
Scientific model, but neither seemed all that great.

I agree with this assessment. They really don't work very well.

The ideal candidate will be small, lightweight (I do a lot of

backpacking,
as well), at least water-resistant, have SAME capability, an alarm

clock,
and while not as important as the other qualifications, not cost two

arms
and one leg.

Good luck. You're not likely to find anything that fill your wish list.

They do exist, the only reason I didn't buy the OS model is that the
salesman told me they'd had quite a few returns due to weak seals. This is
the one I looked at
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...ory_rn=4500615

Thoughts? Suggestions?

For kayaking, nothing beats a marine VHF. It provides better weather

channel
reception, but more importantly, it puts assistance from the Coast Guard

and
other boaters a mere push of a button away. You can get a basic model for

as
little as $80. Good submersible models start at ~$150. This may be more

than
you want to spend, but if you do a lot of paddling on CG patrolled waters,

you
should have a VHF anyway, plus you get the weather capability you want.

I do appreciate the advice, but I'm looking to use this for both water and
land based trips, so for now, I think I'll stick to just weather.

Thanks!

--
Regards

Brian

Jon Hartz

This is from my website:
I have a Standard Horizon marine 2-way radio, model HX260S. It is
submersible and has two battery packs: one rechargeable and the other takes
ordinary AA's. I carry it in one of the four pockets on my PFD. Not only can
I listen to all the emergency and fishing traffic, I can call up the police,
Coast Guard, lifeguards or any other boat, and make telephone calls using
the marine operator. This gives me great peace of mind, and some
entertainment. It weighs about a pound and a half. I paid less than $200 for
this great piece of equipment.
Jon Hartz
Kayaking San Diego
http://www.sdaccess.com/~jonhartz/

"Daniel-San" wrote in message
.com...
I've looked at a few different ones, including a Brundig and an Oregon
Scientific model, but neither seemed all that great. The local REI only
carries these, and the local Galyan's carries none.

The ideal candidate will be small, lightweight (I do a lot of backpacking,
as well), at least water-resistant, have SAME capability, an alarm clock,
and while not as important as the other qualifications, not cost two arms
and one leg.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks for the ideas.

Brian Nystrom

Jon Hartz wrote:

This is from my website:
I have a Standard Horizon marine 2-way radio, model HX260S. It is
submersible and has two battery packs: one rechargeable and the other takes
ordinary AA's.

Keep in mind that none of the "submersible" radios on the market are submersible
when using their AA battery packs. The submersible rating applies only with the
rechargeable battery.

--
Regards

Brian