CJB

Default HMS Pickle

This was the ship that delivered the news about Nelson's victory after
the Battle of Trafalger. She has been rebuilt as an authentic replica
and is available for day and overnight sails. A good report of a voyage
on her is at:

The Sunday Times - Travel

The Sunday Times October 16, 2005

In a pickle on Britain's high seas:

David Mills puts to sea on 'HMS' Pickle, a replica of the ship that
brought news of Trafalgar 200 years ago - and finds himself called to
the rescue

With a rumble and crack the mainsail would catch the wind as we hauled
the tautening ropes. The ship would lean from the stiffening breeze,
picking up speed and throwing up a steady bow wave. I would lie back in
the bows and look up to admire the white expanse of sail against a
clear, blue sky as we slipped by the white cliffs of Beachy Head, as
much a part of England's maritime history as the ship I was on,
"HMS" Pickle, a replica of the vessel that brought the news of
Trafalgar and the death of Nelson home in 1805.

See links for more info.:
http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/pic...,236493,00.jpg
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...825359,00.html

Pete Verdon

CJB wrote:

A good report of a voyage on her is at:

The Sunday Times - Travel

The Sunday Times October 16, 2005

I didn't read the article, but I did see the picture on the front page
of the Travel section. I don't have it with me to check, but I do
remember seeing what looked like quite a bit of water coming out from
between the planks on her port quarter. Not sure I'd fancy a long trip
on board.

Could this have anything to do with the picture of Pickle hanging from
her warps alongside which I saw recently?

Pete