Chris Brady

Default 'Stan Huguill' Pub in Brest, France

Folks might be interested in the pub named after a certain
world-famous professional and traditional shanty singer in certain
western French port. It's not even on the quayside but up a main road
leading out of the town. It's a moot point as to whether they ever
have any shanty sessions there though.

Unfortunately with the ‘none-in-a-bar' law in the U.K. I guess shanty
sessions in the U.K. are now a thing of the past. Anyway I snapped the
pictures from a bus at the Brest 2004 Maritime Festival earlier in
July 2004.

Interestingly, talking to Johnny Collins, who was helping to crew and
cook on the Julia at the Festival, traditional shanties don't really
work on modern tall sailing ships. Apparently the work – hauling
halyards, sheets, turning capstans and the like – is not hard enough
to warrant shanties; there's too much mechanical advantage gained from
blocks and pulleys now-a-days. Pity though. Like the bosun's whistle,
shanties have now all but disappeared from use on tall sailing ships.

But the pubs remain – such as the ‘Le Stan Huguill' in Brest!! There's
even a web site at: http://leguidedusoiffard1.free.fr/stanhuguill.html

Pictures are in the Photo Album called 'Shanties' created in the Yahoo
Group 'EFDSS-FORUM'. Copyright is mine, but may be downloaded for free
for personal use.

CJB
Bill Smith

Chris Brady wrote:
[...]

Stan Hugill (not "Huguill"!) stayed a night with us once, singing at
local folk club we helped run, in the late '60s, and it's still a great
memory. Great performer and very nice guy.
His "Shanties from the Seven Seas" is an unrivalled resource, but now,
AFAIK, out of print. I see used copies advertised (Google search) at £79
to £192 !! Try local library "Request".

Bill.

Chris Ryall

Bill Smith wrote on "'Stan Huguill' Pub in Brest, France"

Stan Hugill (not "Huguill"!)

Humph! Have you seen how those Bretons spell Cornwall?

ref - http://www.festival-cornouaille.com/
--
Chris Ryall Wirral UK
Paul Cowdell

Chris Ryall ] wrote in message ]...
Bill Smith wrote on "'Stan Huguill' Pub in Brest, France"

Stan Hugill (not "Huguill"!)

Humph! Have you seen how those Bretons spell Cornwall?

ref - http://www.festival-cornouaille.com/

Trouble is, if it were spelt Hugill it'd be pronounced Hujill. (Well,
'Oozhill, anyway). Me, I'm more concerned about the concept of the
French pub ...
Chris Ryall

Paul Cowdell wrote on "'Stan Huguill' Pub in Brest, France"
Chris Ryall ] wrote in message
]...
Bill Smith wrote on "'Stan Huguill' Pub in Brest, France"

Stan Hugill (not "Huguill"!)

Humph! Have you seen how those Bretons spell Cornwall?

ref - http://www.festival-cornouaille.com/

Trouble is, if it were spelt Hugill it'd be pronounced Hujill. (Well,
'Oozhill, anyway). Me, I'm more concerned about the concept of the
French pub ...

Popping in an extra vowel is of course a very French trait. Usually
they'd double up the g 'Huggill' to steer the pronunciation. I wondered
if the latter might be rude but nothing resembling it in Robert Collins

Hey, they don't spell Breast right either. How Gallic!

'English' pubs are ubiquitous in France. 'Irish' ones all over Europe
--
Chris Ryall Wirral UK