Chris Ryall

Paul Cowdell wrote on "'Stan Huguill' Pub in Brest, France"
Chris Ryall ] wrote in message
]...
Bill Smith wrote on "'Stan Huguill' Pub in Brest, France"

Stan Hugill (not "Huguill"!)

Humph! Have you seen how those Bretons spell Cornwall?

ref - http://www.festival-cornouaille.com/

Trouble is, if it were spelt Hugill it'd be pronounced Hujill. (Well,
'Oozhill, anyway). Me, I'm more concerned about the concept of the
French pub ...

Popping in an extra vowel is of course a very French trait. Usually
they'd double up the g 'Huggill' to steer the pronunciation. I wondered
if the latter might be rude but nothing resembling it in Robert Collins

Hey, they don't spell Breast right either. How Gallic!

'English' pubs are ubiquitous in France. 'Irish' ones all over Europe
--
Chris Ryall Wirral UK